Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

why only six or eight weeks of no bending listing twisting

Hello everyone! I am about 9 weeks out of a discectomy laminectomy for a very large disc extrusion. I can't seem to get an answer from doctors for my hysical therapist and i was just wondering. why there is the six to eight week limit to no bending lifting and/or twisting ? from what I've heard things tight ring around the disc will always have that same hole in it, so why is 3 weeks different from 12 weeks etc if there's always going to be that hole? I'm just trying to figure out what makes it safer to Bend, lift and twist later? Is something physically different after six or eight weeks? Many magny thanks !
advertisement

Comments

• It seems from everything i have been reading that mostly its different for everyone.......best of luck to you....dont over do it
    my everything hurts
  • Every one is different. I found out the 2 dfiferent PA's I worked with were totally different. The younger on seemed to be still realding a book for her help instead of asking out of for stage. My feed back was no bending twisting lift ever. Like it was t he worse thing in the world and would possibly ruin the fusion. I know everyone is different. I believe they should they all agree and be on the same page. I find it frustrating.
    Jenn
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • for no BLT ( bending, lifting, or twisting) after a fusion is so that the screws do not get dislodged . Once the bone grows around the inserted screws and the fusion process has started, the risks of dislodging or the risk of damaging the hardware or cage is minimized once there is bone growth.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 09/10/2013 - 4:14 PM
    I was told no bendi g twisting kr lifting
    i wonder why the restrictions also

Confession, i did bend down and picked something off of the floor 3 weeks post--op and some soreness in the butt, but i dont think i damaged anything?
    Rose
  • I was told no BLT for 3 months after my two fusions. I had to be very disciplined considering I didn't have a brace there to remind me. I guess every doctor is different, I would follow their advice.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • morphia1957mmorphia1957 Posts: 84
    edited 09/12/2013 - 6:59 AM
    just makes me hungry... :-) sorry.. couldn't resist... haven't laughed a lot lately... too much pain, - I fell on my buttocks (*edited to remove word** ) two weeks after surgery ( 4/1) and was told that technically, I couldn't pull the hardware out if I tried... even though, my surgeon claimed my bones were "mushy" (nice.. right?) and that i'd have to fall out of a 10 story window to really move those suckers.. but they just want to be safe... all the activity of NOT bending from the waist has my KNEES screaming in agony.. I am sure I bend and twist a lot in my sleep now... and no, no brace...
    morphia1957
  • I worry because i did not have FUSIONS to keep things in place
    And i fell 2 weeks after surgery also from a very high fever, MRI showed NOTHING MOVED OUT OF PLACE,
    But i had spinal fluid, inflammation and swelling
    Ultrasound needle guided aspiration had to be done to remove 100 cc of fluid

I wonder about the restrictions as well, maybe they are lifted at the six week post-op checkup?
  • Deb1234DDeb1234 Posts: 59
    edited 09/12/2013 - 7:01 AM
    morphia1957 said:
    just makes me hungry... :-) sorry.. couldn't resist... haven't laughed a lot lately... too much pain, - I fell on my *edited to remove word** buttocks two weeks after surgery ( 4/1) and was told that technically, I couldn't pull the hardware out if I tried... even though, my surgeon claimed my bones were "mushy" (nice.. right?) and that i'd have to fall out of a 10 story window to really move those suckers.. but they just want to be safe... all the activity of NOT bending from the waist has my KNEES screaming in agony.. I am sure I bend and twist a lot in my sleep now... and no, no brace...
    I've been doing a lot of squatting to pick things up and my knees are screaming too!!! I still use my grabber gadget when I remember to carry it around with me, but if I forget it, I end up squatting. I have no brace either.
    Rose, I've been following your journey - sounds like you are now on the road to recovery!!! You had a rough go around.
    PLIF fusion L4-L5 and Decompression July 31
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 09/12/2013 - 7:08 AM
    Whether or not you are braced or not, everyone really needs to follow the post op instructions and restrictions given to you by your surgeons. If you were fused, then you can dislodge the bone graft by doing things you are not supposed to, and in the discectomy scenario, you can reherniate the disc- the part of the disc that was removed, is now fragile, and subject to injury or reinjury all over again.
    Why would anyone , after going through all that we do for our back problems risk the outcome to do something that might set us back to where we were prior to surgery or in some cases worse?
  • Yes, uts niw 4 weeks post-op and its been truly a nightmare
    But the back surgery truly was the easiest part

The complications, dura tear, chest vest shaking me, kidney bleeding etc.... was tge most challenging

But yes, thank God I am now recovering, i just hope it was all worth it?
    It was done to stop to stop the progression of my foot drop and i am number than before the surgery
    Am told ut could be swelling and inflammation from the surgery and complications
    thanks for caring
    Rose
  • But i stupidly picked things up off the floor without thinking.

Hope i did nit do any damage?

Thanks for your answer

I had a total hip replacement in dec and there were HIP PRECAUTIONS that were drilled into your head over and over again and the reasons why, but i heard no bending, twisting or lifting but never given a reason

My problem is no pain meds and no pain to write home about, so i tend to take chances and its bad

Thanks again
    Rose
  • I am glad that you are finally starting to recover. Sometimes, I think that doctors just assume that we know the reasons why we aren't to do something but when they don't take the time to explain it's importance, we just tend to assume that if we are feeling better, then we can resume doing things that we did before, or worse yet, haven't been able to do for a long time......and as I said, there is so much that can go wrong when we forget or don't stick to the restrictions, so the outcomes for us can be devastating, especially after undergoing some of the things we have to get our backs treated....I hope that you didn't either, and in most situations, it won't be a problem, but it is that one time, when we do it , that things can take a horrendous turn south....I don't want to see that for anyone of us
  • My aunt-in-laws mother was sweeping the oirch in Pennsylvania.
    One swing of the broom and she was paralyzed for life from the neck down and stayed in bed for 60 years.

I am one of those " well i feel better, so lets try to do this ir that"
    I am amazed tgat i did not POP OUT my new total hip replacement

At six weeks post-op, tge doctor said to me
    "RO, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT NOW"
    I got in the car and drove home, the three hour trip from long island to the jersey shore

I take chances and get away with most if them

This back surgery was my FOURTEENTH IRTHOPAEDIC SURGERY since age 9
    I was told that i would be in a wheelchair by age 40
    Well just turned 60 and walking, even though with a walker post-op lumbar surgery

Having had arthritis for over 50 years you either stay in bed and CRY or thank God for another day and roll out of bed ,no matter how painful.

We treat pain and affliction differently, this is what works for me

Love you all
    Rose
advertisement