Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help: could this be allergy reaction or body rejection IPG site oozing serum?

i had my implant about 4weeks ago, all seems fine except that my palm started ithching,and i have to take some med for that.2weeks ago when i had my stitches(staples was used) removed i started having problems from my IPG site, the incision start oozing serious discharge, so i had wound swabs and blood test which was fine until a swab test few days back shows MRSA stapp infection. i was placed on IV vancomycin and other antibiotics(i have been on diff antibitics since the surgery). all other incision site has healled very well but the IPG incision. i have had another test which shows no infection but my doc want to continue with the antibiotics for a few more days. COULD THIS BE SOME KIND OF REACTION TO THE IPG COS OF THE DISCHARGE AND ITCHINESS?DID ANYONE EXPERIENCE THIS AND WHAT WAS DONE TO RESOLVE IT? ANY SUGESSTIONS?my doc is already talking about explanting the IPG,but i wouldnt want to go through another surgery again if possible

• I'm sorry but it may be that there are no other options but to remove the IPG and possibly at a later date reinstall it. Once an infection occurs, it is possible to infect the battery pack, the leads and ultimately the spinal canal itself if it is unchecked and you could become septic.
    MRSA is a tough infection to treat, and it might be your best option to have this unit removed, let the area heal, and then worry about reimplanting it.
  • She came so close to removal (like 48 hours) after about 6 weeks post implant. Arrow back to last Jan or Feb. You dont want to mess with this, however, she was lucky and maybe there is one last chance. please keep us updated.
  • twinkiettwinkie Posts: 13
    edited 09/02/2013 - 7:11 AM
    finally i had my baterry removed today,just got back from the hospital my doc thinks that is the best option now,though i wasnt showing any other sign of infection like fever or sepsis.had it done under local wound looks fine when opened,samples taken and send to lab so next 48hours will know for whether there is infection or what kind it it.
  • I hope things turn out well for you. Glad that they removed it, and hope that this will be the end of the current problems.
    Then maybe they will be able to reimplant it at a later date and get it working correctly.
  • hopefully things will settle down soon and few weeks time we can reimplant
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 09/06/2013 - 10:21 AM
    how is your pain? your regular pain?
  • twinkiettwinkie Posts: 13
    edited 09/25/2013 - 9:05 AM
    Hi everyone, hope you are all doing great pls i need some advice
    past few days have been down with pain(really need to get back on my stim), but on the bright note i have been cleared of my infection now so i will have to go back to reimplant the IPG (i only had the IPG removed we were able to preserve the leads).
    my big dilemma now is where to place my IPG. i initially had the IPG on my left upper butt bcos i had the leads(3 of them) channel through that side, now we dont want to go near that side of the pocket again and we could not channel the leads across to the right side bcos of congenital issues there(spina bifida) and scar tissue from previous surgeries. so my doc is suggesting putting the IPG in my lower abdomen on the left side, am not comfortable with this option bcos i've seen some articles discussing the disadvantage of this position cos it can increase chances of lead fracture e.t.c....
    anybody who does not have their IPG on the butt or abdomen should pls share their experience on pros and cons.....
    any sugestions or advice..........
    we are planning for the surgery in few days time, so your response is highly needed now