Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle healing after fusion

I am just on 4 months post fusion L5 / S1 and my muscles seem to be healing soooooo slowly. The left side is fine, but the right side is so weak and I struggle to move my hip / butt. Hence walking and standing are quite difficult. I am pushing myself to build up my walking but it is such a slow process. I have a lot of post surgery complications, such as tachycardia; low BP; several infections in my heel; damage to a nerve in my neck from the canular etc. But I'm starting to wonder if I am ever going to heal? Did anyone else struggle with their muscles at this stage and did they get better? Thanks

• Yes, and the best way to rebuild muscle strength is taking small, shorter walks, per day, eventually, you will notice that the half a block you used to struggle with , you are no longer, and you can increase the distance a bit. Wash, rinse , repeat........
  • Those muscles are darn slow to heal and even after 27 months (I walk at least an hour, every day) my back will still feel lame and twingy on one side. What helps lots is to have another set of muscles to support the spine and body: - that's what they mean when they talk about the "Core".

If I let slip even a day or three of my core exercise routine (10 mins a day) I can feel that my back muscles struggle more.