Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help/Advice/Encouragement Needed! - Atlas Axis Subluxation

I have been struggling for the past three months with upper cervical head and neck pain. I turned my head suddenly to the right and heard a loud pop right behind my right ear about three months ago. Since then I have had a severe headache with intense pressure right at the base of my skull. I have had a CT, Xray, and MRI both of my brain and neck showing no significant damage. I finally went to an Upper Cervical Chiropractor who said I have a significant rotation of my C1 and C2 vertebrae. He adjusts them and then they rotate within hours. I got to the point when I was going every other day and they just weren't staying. I have had PT (craniosacral), epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, etc. I am exhausted and still in so much pain. I have been taking medication to deal with the pain but what makes this condition so unabearable is that I can feel that my head is sitting wrong. It is the most uncomfortable feeling. Like "nails on a chalkboard" so to speak. I feel trapped and I am desperate to feel better. I have been off work for three months and my short term disability is running out. I manage a law firm and I really need to get back to work. Has anyone struggled with this? It may just be the tendons and ligaments taking a long time to heal but I'm afraid someone is missing something and I just want my life back :-(.

• Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 09/02/2013 - 8:47 AM
    I feel your pain because I too suffer from neck pain and migraines. This is just my opinion, but sometimes the stress of the pain can make your pain worse. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you some suggestions to help with stress, anxiety to help with your pain. There's a book that I am reading by a orthopedic surgeon who believes that when the nervous system is on overdrive, pain will not ease until you can learn to calm those nerves down. There are medications out there like valium which can help, but in the long run you want to be able to manage it without medication. I can not say that I am pain free, but I am at a good place right now.

If the CT, Xray and MRI shows nothing, then you are most likely dealing with soft tissue issues such as: tendon, ligaments, muscles, etc. Have you tried yoga, stretching, heat or acupuncture? I have to say that acupuncture has helped with my issues. It's pricey, but worth it. PM me if you want to chat about any of these therapies!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi Julie, I was diagnosed with a ruptured traverse ligament which basically holds the C1 in place. This was picked up by my chiropractor who refused to treat me as she believed I had a fracture. As it transpired via x-ray and mri my c1 was out of whack by 8.3mm and on the brink of doing some serious damage, as my neck was very unstable. I have researched this a lot since, as I had never heard of the traverse ligament - but it is a very important ligament - perhaps it is worth asking them to check your mri to see if it is intact!
  • DASmith1DDASmith1 Houston, TXPosts: 4
    Any updates Julie? I'm dealing with a c1 sublaxation and have experienced some of same symptoms