Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New type of Pain after L4-L5 and L5-S1 microdiscectomy. Please help

ethanheethanh Posts: 4
edited 09/02/2013 - 8:13 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I am in need of some serious help.

I was suffering from L4-L5 and L5-S1 intervertebral disc prolapse with lateral recess stenosis

So finally on 12th Aug 13, I went through the following surgeries under general anesthesia:

L4 transverse hemi-laminectomy
Left L5 hemi-laminectomy
L4-L5 and L5-S1 microdiscectomy
Foraminotomies with decompression of thecal sac and existing nerve roots

I was ok and the pain from back is slowly decreasing and I am recovering well.

But for last 4-5 days I am facing an acute pain while walking.

The pain is radiating from left foot till the knee. And it is paining in the back side of knee.

This is not happening if I walk for 2-3 minute. It starts after that. My current weight is 224 lbs.

Is there anything to worry about?

I also have less sensation in last 3 fingers of left foot, left buttock and Genitals. However this is from the day of surgery.

Please help me. My Neuro surgeon says it will become ok and suggested me Pelvic floor exercise but he does not knows about the pain in my foot that is radiating till back side of knee.

Thanks for reading the post.

Best Regards

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/03/2013 - 4:20 AM
    You need to contact your surgeon today and tell him all of the increased pain, numbness and radiating pain that you are experiencing. It is common to have some increased pain, for a few days post op, but this far out from your surgery, and the numbness in the areas you describe is concerning. Are you also having problems urinating or going to the toilet?
    I strongly suggest that you contact your doctor today.
  • ethanheethanh Posts: 4
    edited 09/04/2013 - 2:31 AM
    Thank you Sandi for your reply.

Yes I will be meeting my Surgeon in 4 days. I do not have problems urinating but while passing stool, I don't even know if it passed or not. I have to see my toilet to make sure that I passed stool. But I have the sense that I need to go to toilet and I am not *edited to remove language* in my pants. I can squeeze my buttock but to a limited level only. (Sorry, if I used any offensive words here)

The pain in the foot to knee does not happens if I am sitting or sleeping but it happens only when I walk.

I am in India and I showed to the best surgeon for my surgery.

However, My NCV test prior to surgery did suggested that I have some nerve damage in the left foot.

Also I was diagnosed with Cauda Equina Syndrome.

Can this pain be temporary nerve inflammation and will heal over time or it is something serious?

My surgeon says that at 224 lbs I am at high risk or recurring herniation but my height is 6.1 ft.

What should be my ideal weight? He says it should be 176-180 lbs.

But I don't know how to shed this weight if I cannot do exercise or PT or even walk to a good limit.

I am sorry for so many queries but I am sure you guys know better and I just want to know if my condition will improve or not.

I am not covered under any insurance and I do not want to give another chance to them for ripping me financially again with another OT.

• Im 2 weeks from a l4 to s1 fusion and decompress and im having pain in my oppisite leg behind my knee goes up bout the same a cpl up it hurts
  • a diagnosis is Cauda Equina Syndrome is why you can't feel if you have gone to the bathroom or not....each pair of spinal nerves exit at a different level and send signals from your brain to different areas of your body. I have a dermatome map as my avatar and if you do a search , you can pull up a larger image of it, so you can see where each set of nerves sends signals to different parts of your body. Unfortunately, once damage is done to the spinal canal nerves, it can be permanent depending on how long the nerves in the canal were compressed. How long did you have this before they did surgery?
    I would not wait, since the acute pain and problems are different than what you experienced pre op, and immediately post op.
    It can take some time for the nerves to recover, if they are going to. I have had CES twice- and some of my damage is permanent, there is nothing that can be done for some of it......but each of us are individuals, and I strongly recommend that you do contact your surgeon today, instead of waiting for the appointment. Sometimes, there are things that need to be done immediately if there is a problem and with a diagnosis of CES already in your surgical history, it could be possible for it to occur again.