Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One Week Post-Op Questions

Hello, I had been a frequent poster/reader of this forum before, during and after my L3-L4,L4-L5 TLIF in December 2010.

Last week, after months of new pain and issues, I had an L5-S1 foraminotomy/foranimectomy (not sure which one) to relieve pressure on the right side nerve root due to stenosis/compression shown by my MRI. This was suggested by my doctor after considering a new fusion at L5-S1. He did say post-Op the that disc is herniated but not very bad so this was probably the right decision as even after just a week, symptoms are much improved even after just a week, other than some expected residual nerve and surgical pain.

To my real question for this post; what have other people experienced pre and post surgery regarding driving or riding in a car? in the weeks before the procedure riding in a car, in particular one with less lumbar support, was very difficult for any longer than 5 minutes without the pain spiking tremendously. After feeling pretty good the last couple days, went for a ride as a passenger and this same terrible pain returned. It almost completely goes away after standing or walking for 5 minutes or so.

Just looking for any advice from the forum on handling pain driving or riding in a car post-op. I'm figuring in a car with better lumbar support or with a lumber pillow it might be better but I've yet to try this.

Any comments or experiences are greatly appreciated.

• What has worked well for me is reclining the seat weather I am driving or a passenger reclining works for me! I should note that I have a big suburban that is really tall and easy to get in and out off!!! Good luck to you!
    L5-S1 anterior/posterior 360 fusion Aug 2013
    Grade 2 spondy, Severe DDD L5-S1
    L4 Facet arthritis