Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

false negative drug test

I am in need of advice please. My pain doctor has stopped my percocet due to a total of 3 negative urine drug tests over 5 months. I assure you that I have been taking the prescribed medication. I keep a record for each day and times that I take my meds. I am unable to get anyone in pain management to hear me. What is the next step for contesting false negative drug tests?

• I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

• Jennifer,
    It is highly unusual that there would be three negatives in 5 months, if you were taking the medications as prescribed. Is the testing done right in the office or is the sample collected in the office but then sent out to a lab?
    I am assuming that you have a contract with the doctor, and that he has dismissed you?
    Since the doctor continued your care , after the first negative test, he should have told you that a further negative test would result in your dismissal or that it was spelled out in the contract, yet there was a third instance ?
    What did the doctor tell you about disputing test results? Or what options for further treatment?
    I am afraid that you are in a pickle, given that there is not just one test that you failed but three.
  • Sandi thank you for your time. I have signed a contract and the only time my doctor said anything to me about the failed tests was after the 2nd test failed. He acted like it was no big deal and had me do it again. Never once mentioning that I was in danger of being kicked out of the pain mngmt program. I wasn't able to speak with him after the last appt. I did talk with one of the nurses and she was rude and told me to get a lawyer. They collect the urine in the office and it goes to their lab.
    Thanks sgain :)
  • In all of the contracts, it spells out the consequences of a test failure. In most cases, it is an outright dismissal from the doctor's practice, and contacting your primary care doctor and pharmacy, and possibly any surgeon that you may be seeing.
    Unfortunately, the normal course is that the patient gets dismissed right away, so you were lucky in that he kept you after you failed the first time, since most PM doctors do not.
    Your only option at this point, is to find another doctor, and hope that he is willing to take you on. What are you in pain management for? What condition?
    Don't be surprised though if it is very, very difficult to find another doctor willing to take on your care and prescribe you pain medications.
    What do you mean it goes to their lab? Do they have a lab in house- meaning in the office itself or they send it out to a lab that they use to do their testing? Was it a screen test or a gc/ms test? GC/MS testing is also called gas chromotography/mass spectrometry.....this is the testing that most PM doctors use these days. It is almost unheard of that there would be a false negative using this kind of testing.
  • You are telling us they tested and found no trace of the prescribed dosage? Or inadequate concentration?
    Or do you meant hey found a dirty test? Either way, three is hard to swallow.
  • I was not told a thing regarding how or why the tests were negative, just sent a letter stating that I was being dismissed after the three tests. I keep a running log/notebook of all my meds and times and how much I take. I am allowed up to 4 percocets a day and sometimes I take less. Hard to swallow indeed, which is why I need to contest this mess.
  • jenniferg1010jjenniferg1010 Posts: 4
    edited 09/12/2013 - 2:17 AM
    I had a tri-level spinal fusion a year and a half ago which made my condition much, much worse.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/12/2013 - 9:24 AM
    and you were taking less , that would explain why you tested negative. However, since you have three failed tests, the dismissal is not something that you can contest at this point. You should have told the nurse doing the testing when she asked you when you took your last dose, exactly when you did, and that you aren't always taking the amount prescribed per day. The doctor should have reduced your dosage if you did not need to take the full amount you are allotted daily but would only do that if you told him that you didn't need it.......so they assumed that you were taking the meds as prescribed, but you weren't and then failed three tests.
    The only thing that you can do at this point is to find another doctor but I do think it is going to be very difficult, given this isn't just one test, but three.......