Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Cervical ACDF3/4/5 and Posterior CDF5/6/7

My ACDF operation was done in 2010 and Posterior CDF in 2011. Have just seen my Spinal Surgeon today and it has been agreed to do a lengthy operation from back of head down to T2 area. This will correct all problems hopefully that have been caused by non fusions. Have had severe neck pain for years and only treatment to date has been injections! If anyone has had a similar operation I would love to hear from them.

• You might want to check out the back and neck surgery forums. There are lots of members who have had this type of surgery and they will be more than happy to talk to you.
  • I have received some good news! I am going into hospital on 3rd December 2013 for my 6 to 7 hours operation the following morning very early. The Surgeon is to operate from C2 to T3 and will as mentioned be a very lengthy one. Recovery I have been warned will be very long and painful for some 3-6 months. There is of course no guarantee that it will remove all the pain but I have been assured I shall feel much better in my self. I shall be in Intensive Care for 2 days and in hospital for a total of around 10 days. Apparently much metalwork from previous operations will have to be removed!!

Good luck to all of you who are undergoing similar operations. Will inform you all in due course the result of my operation. This will be my 5th spine operation!!
  • A huge Surgery however I also believe once this is all locked down you will feel much better. I'm sure it will be a long recovery. I just had a posterior 3 level on 8/8/13 I'm still healing but the deep agonizing pain is Gone! I'm so thankful for that. Please keep us updated & I'm Happy you have a plan, to help you move forward.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Wonderboy, good luck with your recovery.
    What kind of hardware will you go with for the replacement components? PEET (poly-el.....-something-something?) type spacer?
    Are your failed fusions causing stenosis ?
    I never did understand what occurs when fusion fails. I know that means that calcium and bone failed to grow around the new hardware, but I don't know what occurs at that point. More stress on adjoining vertebra/discs ?
  • My dad had both posterior and anterior fusions because the doctor said that he had a collapsed vertebrae amongst other disc problems. The first fusion we were told didn't fuse. So a year or so later they fused the other side. He felt great for about 6 months then the pain returned. About a year after the last surgery these terrible migraines began- which were not present before. He suffers everyday. Pain killers only take the edge off for about an hour. We are currently looking for help. He gets Botox injections for the migraines- but they're caused from the neck pain- not typical migraines. In addition, he has tried and still gets every kind of injection imaginable. Has tried patches to help with the pain- nothing works. We are in the New York area. Can anyone recommend a good spinal doctor or suggestions for some relief? No one should have to be in so much pain. His quality of life has diminished drastically.