Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain under base of skull-back of head-post 2 level ACDF 8 months

I was wondering if someone has similar experiences as me. I had C5/6 and C6/7 done in early Jan 2013. I have been experiencing headaches or tightness pain in the back of my head at the base of the skull, especially on the left side. I have done a dozen PT sessions, along with weekly trigger point massages. I even got a shot of Prednisone from my ortho in mid-July. Any chance these pains dissipate? I had the exact pain for months prior to surgery and expected it would go away post surgery. I do take magnesium and 10mg of Flexeril at night, which seems to help. Biofreeze also works decently. I'm starting to wonder if I have another unrelated condition, as the pain is in another area away from where the fusion took place. I feel depressed that I'm going to have to live this way for the rest of my life. I just turned 40 and didn't expect to have my life be like this. Wondering if I should go get another MRI or CAT scan post surgery to see where the problem may exist. I had an xray done at 4 months from my ortho and he said I was starting to fuse. I did wear that bone-stimulation device for 4 months religiously.

Any advice on where to turn????

• I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

• in the base of my skull. I was in a vehicle accident 4/11 I flipped my van and crushed my C6,7. They replaced them with cadaver bone and fused C5,6,7 together. They told me that the large knot in neck was a large muscle spasm but I also have them in my right shoulder and shoulder blade. I am on lyrica, zanaflex, hydrocodone, elavil, and topamax for migraines and a Tens Unit. As long as I don't miss my meds I have relief but when I miss them the pain in the back of my neck is so bad I get terrible migraines to where I can't do anything. I am having another x-ray on my neck and an ultrasound on the large knot on my neck. Sorry if my reply was not a good one just wanted to let you know I can certainly relate.
  • I just had 2 cervical fusions Sept 24, 2013 on C5 & C6, C6 & C7. They cleaned off spurs & put cadaver bones in where discs were all but gone. My pain right now is on left side in left shoulder blade & down left arm. I am also having pain up the back of my neck & head. This is scaring me because 7 years ago I had a lumbar fusion done & I am still having to depend on Vicodin when I just can stand the pain in my back anymore. Right now for after cervical surgery they have me on Oxycodone & Valium. I will keep you guys in my prayers. Please let me know any updates you have & if things are getting any better for you both.
  • I had ACDF surgery in April. I too am experiencing headaches which starts at the base of my head and moves up to the back and sides. I have started taking neurontin because the doctor said it is because of the pain in my neck which is irritating the nerves at the base of my head. I am also still having severe neck pain. But the neurontin is helping my head pain.
  • everpeacheeverpeach Posts: 30
    edited 10/04/2013 - 5:11 PM
    I have tried neuronton and it did not do anything for me. I am trusting these neck fusions will be a success unlike the lumbar fusion. Praying you will be pain free very soon.
    Take care
  • K61KK61 Posts: 20
    edited 10/04/2013 - 6:48 PM
    I had the same 2 level fusion in my neck a little over 4 years ago. I had the fusion done to
    prevent paralysis. I actually had little to no pain in my neck prior to the surgery. I did have
    finger numbness and electric shock if I sneezed. A week before I had the surgery I
    experienced 15 to 20 minutes of full body paralysis at the dentist. Now I have aching pain
    in my neck most of the time. I take 400 mg tramadol during the day and 5-10 mg
    oxycodone at night. I would take the stronger meds during the day except my job prohibits
    this. I hope your pain subsides, but it may be here for the long haul. If someone were to
    ask me, " Would you do it again?", I would say yes because the pain I am in now is still
    better than becoming a cripple. I hope you do better, but most of the time it is just a trade
  • So at 9.5 months....doing way better....don't have the pain in the back of my head nearly as often....maybe the neck muscles needed time to adjust. People said it would take 8-9 months to see improvement and I have. I'm even able to chase after my 6 yr old son without issue.......knock on wood....hope it continues...haven't had to take a muscle relaxer in months.