Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Months Post L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

Hello all! I'm posting again looking for some help. I had a microdiscectomy June 13th. As I stated in some other posts, I was having back pain and pain running down the back of my left leg into my foot. Like many others, I had complete relief of leg pain after the surgery until a few weeks after. After a few weeks I started having some leg pain but nothing as bad as before surgery. Now the pain is getting worse. When I walk my leg gets tired and weak. I'm also having some sharp pains running down my leg and running through my back. When the pain runs through my back it's excruciating. The pain is really intense for a few seconds and then it goes back to the "normal" back pain. The pain in my leg, although really painful, is not as bad as it was before surgery. However, the sharp pains running through my back is something new. Even my "normal" back pain is worse. I'm a sophomore in college so I'm away from home and my surgeon. Any help would be helpful. Thanks!!
advertisement

Comments

• It could simply be a result of your walking more since you are back at college. It takes time to get your body back accustomed to the activities and endurance you had prior to the surgery. That's one reason that physical therapy is a good idea when someone is recovering from an injury. Given that the pain levels go back down once you give it a few minutes, it may be that you just simply need to strengthen your muscles and endurance once again.
    If the disc was impinging the nerve prior to surgery, it might also have something to do with the nerve recovering now, which also may be playing a part in what you are experiencing.
  • Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 09/09/2013 - 3:01 PM
    Call you doctor!!! Don't mess around waiting for it to get better. The doctor can help you more than anyone on here can.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • I won't be able to see my doctor for another month! :( Any suggestions other than heat, ice and stretching anyone can give me to get through this next month?
  • Mama-SchueMMama-Schue Posts: 337
    edited 09/11/2013 - 11:30 PM
    Can you just call the office and talk with the nurse? They can help you over the phone in some ways. Or call in a script for you. Have you tried ibuprofen? My doc said that I can take 800mg. And to be sure to take Pepcid once a day to help protect my stomach. Hang in there I know it's not easy right now. Praying for you.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • No one here is qualified to help you with making medical decisions. If you are concerned enough to feel that you need advice, then you really need to call your surgeons office and speak with either the nurse or the doctor himself.
  • Beth, it's like you copied my symptoms. I'm so scared. I'm two weeks post 2nd MicroD and pain is back majorly but in my other leg. I'm afraid I'm gonna need a fusion now. I'm 34 and I'm afraid of what the rest of my life will become. I've been on pain meds for a year and it bothers me and is affecting my life. I have a wife and two kids. I'm becoming a bad father/husband. My pain affects all of our lives. I'm scared of this uncertain future. I also have a limp and need a cane to get around as of yesterday.
    Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I have had 4 discectomies and dealt with pain for 12 years. I also know all about the pain making you a bad dad and affecting you family, I've been there. Beth, like others have mentioned you need to see your doctor. Whats your PT program been like post op? Don't let your emotions get the best of either of you, stay strong and work through it. I know that is easier said than done. I felt the same emotions, fear etc for my 2nd 3rd and 4th surgeries. FYI capsdad I am now 3 weeks post op from a 4 level lumbar disc replacement. I haven't felt this great for 12 years, still recovering and a bit beat up from surgery but I only mention this for your own research while considering fusion....good luck we are all thinking of you
    Eric
  • Beth- i could have written thispost! in fact i just wrote one like it! just wondering how you are doing? i feel the same way!!! im 12.5 weeks post op froma microdisc. and still in pain. i didnt have any PT because my dr wants to wait to see my new MRI in 2 weeks... heres my post
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/3-months-post-microdisc-still-pain

please let us know hwo u are doing, hpoefully better!!!
    -D-
advertisement