Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I,m almost at the point that I'm not sure if I can continue. In 2004 I was wounded during and IED attack in Iraq. I took shrapnel to my lower back and was discharged from the Army. The official term given was i had back mussel impairment as well as degenerate disc disease. I have never recovered month by month the pain gets worse over the past year I've started wetting the bed as well. I take 4 oxycodoines a day I've had IDet surgery as well as more steroids shots then I can count. The mornings are the worst I'm always ill any more. First I'm not asking any one to feel sorry for me I just need advice. Surgeons have looked at me many times and its always the same they won't touch me there's no worse feeling then having you wife or kids change the bed clothes or help you get ready the littlest chores seems to be the hardest to do any more. I'm 40 years old and just losing heart.

• First, I am sorry for what you are going through...and have been through.
    DDD is something that all of us have, if we are over the age of 18, our discs start to loose hydration, at varying rates, and usually it is not considered a finding of any significance, unless there is impingement of the spinal nerves somewhere. Can I ask what level of your spine the IED effected?
    I am concerned because the loss of either bladder or bowel control or both, for that matter, coupled with the worsening of your symptoms might be caused by a severe compression of your spinal canal. It is called Cauda Equina Syndrome and is considered a surgical emergency. Have you discussed with your doctors the loss of bladder control? Do you also have worsening of numbness, or pain, do your buttocks or genital regions feel 'different' than previously? I know these are rather personal questions, but if the answer is yes, you really need to be seen and have a new MRI and maybe even a CT scan done to find out what nerves if any are being compressed.
    When was the last time that any up to date i maging was done? Are you near to a major city or hospital in your area? If not, you might want to consider being seen by a board certified ortho or neuro spine surgeon in a large city or major hospital in your area.......
  • Tired1971:

Thank-you for your service. I, too, am a veteran. My advice...stay away from the VA system and seek "better" medical diagnosis and treatment in the civilian sector. They function for profit, and it does make a difference.

On the other hand, if you must use the VA system then seek advocacy from your elected officials. A nation's morale character is measured by its treatment of veterans. Simply remind the elected official that you are a veteran suffering from a military service injury.

I wish you luck and courage.

• THANK BOTH of you for your service. And all of the other members of our military, law enforcement, ems, firemen and women...
This discussion has been closed.