Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

slipped disk

I fell on May 2010, hit pretty hard, knee swelled and I had trouble walking, dr sent me for xray, of the knee when I told her that my leg was going numb when I walked, and I had considerable pain in the whole leg, this has gone on for two years,l now have pain in my back and pain with the numbness so severe that it keeps me awake a good part of the night
To make a long story short, I changed drs, have had bone scans, and mri of the leg, and some test to see if I have a blood clot, which if I had had one for two years, might not be talking to anyone right now.....My back was not even mentioned until I fell hit my tailbone and I guess really escalated the pain. I am not Neurontin and for extreme pain I have hydrocodone for pain when its needed. They did an exray of my back, have a slipped disk and about 4 bone spurs, he immediately said I needed surgery, but I cannot do that, if I quit work, I cannot make it, even though I have medicare and Medicaid, I need this extra pay I have to make a living seeing ss doesn't pay much or not in my case I am going for an mri to see the extent of the injuries, and seeing I said no surgery he is sending me to a pain management dr, seeing I am having pain down both legs now, not all the time but when I try to do some things I need to do and am not supposed to do
My biggest thing is sleeping. if I get to sleep and have to get up, the pain is awful, until I get on my feet, then in the bathroom sitting, both of my legs go to sleep.
Are there any exercises for this, and what is the best way to get out of bed, without me scaring my two little dogs, and the whole neighborhood?? Anyone have this same or like it condition?? I am 74 but not ready to give in next, I work as a secretary for 4 hours a day, no physical stuff, but have to get up about every 20 minutes to walk around, I have given into using a cane,but doggone it, the pain seems like it is always there, even with pain meds
Help, am not depressed or don't think I am, just really need a good way to sleep and get up without seeming to tear everything apart in my hips and legs
Sheila Coughtry

• They can't see a slipped disc with xray. Xray can only show alignment of the vertebra in the spine but not the soft tissue, which a disc is made of........or did you mean a slipped vertebra?
    The problem with not having surgery, when it is a mechanical or neuropathic problem, and in your case, it sounds like both, is that if the compression on the nerves is not relieved, the damage can become permanent. If it is a slipped vertebra ( called a spondylolysthesis) can worsen if left untreated.
    The best way to get out of bed is to log roll- keep your spine, hips and torso in as straight a line as you can, and use your hands and legs to push you over and up to a sitting position.
    As far as any excercises go, it would not be wise for us to recommend any since we are not medical doctors. When do you see the pain management doctor? He can send you for physical therapy and also recommend some excercises if he feels that they are safe for you to do.
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

• hi and thank you for responding, dr said slipped disk, so that is what I wrote. I am hoping pain management will help until I can have surgery if that is what to come. I cannot quit work now, will be another year before I can, so if no help is at hand, will have to deal with the pain which is what I have been doing. Thanks for the ways to get out of bed, I know nothing is going to take the pain away completely but it feels better when I finally sit up, again thank you, right now got to get dishes done and get ready for work tomorrow. Driving does not hurt, just getting out and into the office
    Sheila Coughtry
  • oh sorry, having mri done on the 23th, so will have to wait for the results of that, then he said he would send me to a pain management dr, and I am hoping maybe some physical therapy so I can get moving. Dr said he wants me to lose weight but can exercise like I used to, so in order to lose weight, will have to have physical movement. Am looking at some exercise programs that can be done from a sitting position. If anyone knows a good one, please let me know
    Sheila Coughtry
  • Hi holly1939. Last night I went to my first Kundalini yoga class, and today I feel so much better! I have not needed any breakthrough pain meds today. I am going to try to practice Kundalini yoga on my own every day- I can't believe how great I feel! Most of the poses are done sitting down, either cross-legged or on your heels, but one woman in our class sat at the back and sat in a chair instead. All poses can be modified based on your body and what you need. The teacher told us to always do what feels right, and none of the poses should cause pain. Look up Kundalini yoga and see if any classes for beginners are offered in your area. I haven't felt this good in years!!! I took the class at the community center in my town. It's easy to do and it feels great. You can do it from a sitting position and it might be a great exercise program to get you moving again. I have been inactive for two years due to a neck injury and healing from spinal fusion surgery. I was able to participate, even though I got really sweaty at first. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do everything, but I could! :)

I hope you can find some relief from your pain. I understand what you are saying about the necessity to work. I need to work no matter what. I did have to have a spinal fusion in my neck in late 2011, and I used up all my vacation time, worked from home for 2-4 hours per day, and then went back in to work. At first I could only work for 2 hours. Now I can work 8 hours.

Good luck with finding a solution to the pain (even if you may eventually need surgery). The longer you wait if you need surgery, the worse your nerve pain will be. The Family and Medical Leave Act ensures that you can leave for up to 12 weeks and return to the same position, or an equivalent position, at your employer. I just wanted to let you know that because it sounds like you are in the USA. I am thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.
    Chronic pain since 2007. Have scoliosis. Had ACDF surgery for C5 Dec 2011. Sick of dealing with pain. I just turned 32 and struggle through but work full-time in IT.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/11/2013 - 9:36 AM
    Hi Shiela,
    I am including a link that lists the usual steps to getting chronic pain treated so it may help you when you do see the pain management doctor to understand what steps he may take and why he may order something......hope that it helps.

• Let us know what the MRI shows, I was told I had a slipped disc for years from an x-ray that I had done at the chiropractor but it turns out that the MRI showed much more. Yes, I did undergo a fusion on 5/1 for L5/S1 and the nerve pain was relieved almost all the way. My nerve was pinched for 4 years so there is definitely nerve damage that will take time to heal. Good luck, the log roll is something I have to do EVERYTIME I get up from a laying position, it really does great.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Had my mri done yesterday, what a day, lady who did the mri must have been having a bad day, from minute one I was her ememy, did not move fast enough, ruined her schedule or something. She put me on the table, when I tried to get my legs on my way, she grabbed them and did it her way, and boy did it hurt, after that was uneventful, fell asleep during the test. when it was over she announced that I needed to get up, as she needed to see another patient, grabbed my legs and swung them over the edge, what pain, I have been having trouble getting up from anywhere and I do it carefully so it doesn't hurt so much. Was mad, but I said nothing, I got dressed and limped out to the waiting room where my daughter was waiting, was too mad to talk. Guess I did not move fast enough or whatever, but today I am having new pain, awful pain, and I am not a sissie but this hurts.....do not know when I go back or when he will read the mri but I am going to complain about the treatment I got and I wont go to that place anymore, not unless someone else is doing the test.
    When I told her that she had hurt me, she said, did I want this test or not?? My Neurontin does not seem to be working, if I take the other stuff It helps more but I cannot take it if I am driving, cannot wait to see what the mri says.
    Sheila Coughtry
  • oh by the way, your log roll has helped getting up , guess that is why I had so much pain when she grabbed my legs and swung them over.
    Sheila Coughtry
  • In pain management, even though the dr said he would prefer to send me to a surgeon, after seeing the mri myself, I know why. I had the first set of shots done last Friday, still working onmy diary for him, things are not going good, have such pains in my legs and lots of numbness. Today was bad, pain was so bad, could not walk, took meds but it is taking a long time to work. After my pain diary is over, I think I am NOt going to have a second set of shots, I am meeting the surgeon on this coming Tuesday, if I last long enough. I don't think I have ever had such pain in my life as I am having now, I am not afraid of surgery but want to know if it will work, see too many people say they have to go back. I had such great hopes the day I had the shots and the day afterward, then the pain came back and is getting worse, they say it takes days for the steroids to work but its been 6 days and not better, have 2 days to go, am discouraged, sitting standing laying pain is never completely gone. Oh well there are other options out there, my pain management dr said they might not work, the problem is too too bad, the narrowing too too narrow, for things to ever be normal without surgery. So I look for the day when pain pills all the time wont be part of my diet, if you all have any other suggestions, would appreciate them, using ice bag also
    Sheila Coughtry