Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 weeks post ALIF and in loads of pain

Hi all fellow back surgery friends! My name is Lindsay.
I had my surgery July 3rd. 3 days before my 30th birthday! That's how bad I wanted to get better. I am now 9 weeks post op. I felt better for a good couple of weeks. I went to my friends birthday party and hung out with my other friends. I did wash and cleaned. But not bending or lifting. I would drag the basket. Now in the past week, I feel like I felt the first week after surgery. My back is killing me. Maybe I am doing to much, but I'm so tired of sitting around.
I do take pain meds Oxycontin but all they do is put me to sleep. I also take Valium for a muscle relaxer. What does everyone else take? I'd definitely like to try to change these meds, because I'm so tired of sleeping. Also any tips would be wonderful.
I am going back to the Dr in October to get a Xray, see how everything is going, and see my screws. Hopefully then I can begin physical therapy.
As I said please any tips and any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It is imperative that you follow the post op restrictions and instructions given to you by your surgeon until he clears you for those activities. Doing too much, too soon, or doing things that you aren't supposed to can put the outcome of the entire surgery at risk, such as pushing a loaded laundry basket. Isn't there anyone who can take on these chores for now?
  • Hey Lindsay,
    first off, I hope you are doing better by now. I had surgery on July 9th of this year (ALIF L5-S1) so we are in the same time frame. I am 10 years older than you but I was in real good shape prior to my fusion, well as good as you can be with a messed up back :-) I felt pretty good the first 6 weeks and then the nerve pains drove me up the wall.

I also can tell as soon as I push myself with the exercises or activities around the house or with trips in the car that my pain will increase incrementally. Sometimes I am in pain for no particular reason. I now realise that this is part of the recovery and healing process. Personally I stopped with the muscle relaxers 3 to 4 weeks after my surgery. I know they are nice for sleep but the problem is that you are still not getting stage 3 and 4 (the good deep kind) sleep.
    Muscle relaxers like Valium and Soma trick your brain and that's all there is to it. I went through a Spine rehab program that included lots of patient education for chronic pain patients prior to my ALIF, hoping I could avoid it. Look into it online, I am sure there is good info about that or even here in the forums. I am not a doctor or healthcare professional, but personally I believe that while there is a time and place for those meds, they will not help us get better after a fusion.
    I am still taking Oxycodone 4 to 6 times a day to control my pain and to allow me to do my exercises, but I feel 10x better once I got off the Valium and Soma. My physical therapist actually taught me a simple breathing exercise and that does me more good then any of those muscle relaxers. Good luck and remember to focus on the healing, I have to remind myself of that daily.