Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion

Hi,I had a micro-discectomy November 2012 which worked for a while got rid of my sciatica in my legs,but not back pain.now I am having a spinal fusion in November 2013 anyone had one and are their cured from pain,please let me no thanks steve.
s. j. aplin

• Hello There--

Welcome to the forums! I have had a spinal fusion and am 4 months out-- L5/S1. I had severe pain from the nerve being trapped at the L5/S1 level, stenosis, degenerative disc disease, pars defect, etc. I have to remind myself that I am only 4 months out but I am feeling much better and know the recovery will continue to be great. Good luck!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • CecCCec Posts: 10
    edited 09/20/2013 - 7:12 AM
    Hi Olivia,

Where did you have your MIS TLIF? Did they use BMP? How was the recovery?

• I had mine in Southern Maryland area by a Neurosurgeon out of Georgetown University Hospital- we aren't able to post specific locations and/or physician names on the forums.

He did use BMP and recovery at first was pretty rough, however my doc had me on Oxycodone and Flexeril and I did well. I slept for the 3 days in the hospital just because everything (even going to the bathroom exhausted me) and then when I got home, my husband would help me up and around and take me walking to the mailbox and back for exercise. I am almost 5 months out and am having some nerve pain down my leg but all in all I feel GREAT. I am on Lyrica and still have limitations, but it was a good decision!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • I have had two fusions. I do not regret either surgery. I know that a fusion is just suppose to stabilize the spine, but I got tremendous pain relief from them. I am fused L3-L5. I did not get BMP with my fusion they used my own bone and I fused completely after one year. I do hurt now, but I also have bulged disc at L5-S1. I had a MRI on Saturday morning to see if its herniated. A little bit of me hopes its herniated cause that will explain this new pain that I am having. If its not herniated I am having spinal cord stimulator trial in December. Hopefully I will find out the results of my MRI tomorrow. Either way I will still be in pain and have to learn how to cope with it. Which I am not very good at. I don't particularly like being disabled. I have always been a hardworker. Good luck with your surgery and follow all you doctors instructions so you can give yourself the best possible recovery.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Hi I did a lumbar fusion in February 2013, my 3rd back surgery & 2nd in 18 months. After the surgery in 2011 I was in severe pain & could not use my left leg after doing spinal injections that didn't work we decided to do the fusion of L4/L5 & L5/S1 which during surgery had some complications lost a lot of blood and surgery went for 7 hours. Since then I have gotten back some feeling in my left leg but I am still experiencing pain though not as severe. I started physio a month ago & thought this was a good sign but the pain continues some days I just stay in bed cause I cannot move. The other problem I am having is my inflammation levels are high & my back keeps swelling causing serious pain. My doctor prescibes meds for me but these tend to cause side effects & I wonder is it worth it. I would have thought by now I would have been able to move around more without so much pain but after 7 months I am losing hope & getting quite frustrated. Has anyone experienced same especially problems with inflammation?
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

The absolute worst thing that you can do is to stay in bed, and be inactive. It is imperative that you walk , each and every day, many times a day, even if it is short distances, but multiple times a day to keep your body moving. Fusion recovery is tough, and it can be a lot of one step forward and two back during the early parts of it, but you must keep moving and get up each day and push through some of the pain. Neuropathic pain can flare at different points of your recovery from the nerves reawakening after being compressed but it usually disappears as quickly as it comes, as you continue to recover.
    The excercises taught to you during pt are meant to be done every day since they will help you to strengthen your core muscles and keep them strong to prevent further problems.
    Fusion recovery can take up to two years post op to get to the point where you start feeling more human again so slow and steady wins.
  • finzzzupffinzzzup Posts: 23
    edited 09/28/2013 - 3:08 AM
    I wish I could say my fusion went well like the others, but mine was a total nightmare that I am still living after two years. In July 2011, I underwent a lumbar fusion of my L1 thru S1. It was a two-part surgery in which the first part they removed the discs and replaced them with artificial discs and the second part they installed the rods, pins, cages, etc. All went well with the first part, but I awoke from the second part paralyzed from my right hip to my toes. In the time since, I've regained about 70% of the feeling back, but I've lost all the muscle in the leg from my thigh to my calf and no longer have a reflex in it. As a result I am permanently disabled. As far as the back pain I had surgery for in the first place, It's ten times worse than before the surgery. The cause of the paralysis was severe damage to the L4/L5 nerves during the second part of the surgery. In hindsight, I wish I had someone to tell me to only let a neurologist perform this type of surgery on me because I likely would have had a much better outcome. I am not telling you this to scare you from having the needed surgery... I just want you to be aware of what can happen and to be cautious in choosing who to let perform the surgery.
This discussion has been closed.