Hi everyone! My dad was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and with Myelopathy and radiculopathy and a doctor from the Orthopedic and Trauma unit did an operation on him last month (on the 8/14/2013). It was an anterior spinal fusion approach with an implant, and he said it was to “decompress the nerves.” (The findings from the MRI showed severe cervical stenosis. The operating doctor said it was so severe that he had to do operation instead of taking the wait and see approach. Looks like the damage has been done for at least 5 years.)
Right now, my dad has to wear a Philadelphia neck and body brace (back and front piece), and will have a follow up appointment about one month from now ( 2 months post surgery) to go for an X-ray scan. His gait seems to get better, and incontinence seems to have disappeared. What worries me however is that his physical conditions do not seem to improve, and most of the symptoms that existed pre-surgery still persist till this day. For example, he is lethargic, dizzy, and still having mild insomnia and the heat sensation down his calves during afternoons (even more feverish than post-surgery).
Right now, he is taking
1) Methycobal tablet 500mg, *3/day
2) Frisium tablet 10mg, *1/day @night
3) Revicon forte tablet, *1/day @morning
It is to note that before the surgery, he took Remeron Soltab 15Mg, *1/day and Rivotril Tablet 2Mg, *1/day, prescribed by a psychological doctor, because we thought he had depression. He stopped taking these two medicine after the surgery.
I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice.
1) Is it it’s normal that his conditions do not get better, or actually, get worse post-surgery? The doctor said it takes time for the nerves to recover, and some of the replies above said the pain is due to the awakening of the nerves, but I couldn’t help to get skeptical since my father is in a lot of pain and distres during this "recovery phrase." So, should i be worried?
2) I think the fact that he has to wear the body brace together with the neck brace has in some way made him feel tired. Do you know if it's necessary to wear the body brace actually?
3) He has some atrophy in his muscles and complains of backbone pain sometimes. Do you recommend that he takes some calcium supplements? What are the supplements that you would suggest?