Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

success stories?? anyone?

Hi all,

Reading the posts i've noticed quite a few stories that aren't so great. I'm assuming those who have had success are off living their normal lives, however, has anyone on here had a success story? From PT or injections or surgery? I'd love to hear them. Good luck everyone

• I had a rhizotomy done to treat the arthritis in my lumbar area. My doctor used a needle with that burns or deadens the nerves that are sensing the pain. He did this around my facets. Now I can stand on concrete a lot longer and sitting is better. I still have other back issues but it was definitely helpful. I really think its important to get the right doc and listen to what they say.
  • RennersChickRRennersChick Posts: 228
    edited 09/26/2013 - 4:57 AM
    Actually, there are some success stories on here, ya just gotta dig a little. Mine is one of them (currently). I had an L5 S1 Microdiscectomy on September 5, 2013 and am doing really well. I've had ups and downs, but it's part of the healing process. I am actually returning to work (with restrictions) next week. I feel good. Still stiff in the mornings, but I do some stretching techniques that I got from my Physical Therapist several months ago. I have not had to do any PT post surgery and I immediately felt the difference post surgery. Before I had PT, I did a round of Epidural injections that gave me temporary relief, but the surgery is what I definitely needed to remove a herniation that was compressing my sciatic nerve.

So, yes, there are success stories, but some of the success is not a full recovery. A lot of people would consider walking a block without assistance a success. Or maybe they didn't need their pain meds today. Maybe they were able to finally sleep on their back or just sleep at all. Those are all true success stories in themselves. They may not seem like much, but to those that have never been able to do those things, it's an absolute win and worthy of celebration. :)
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I had my first spinal surgery in 1978, 4 lumbar, 3 cervical , then 2 complete shoulder replacements, 1 total hip replacement and the other being replaced on 10/28.
    I consider my situation a success!

From my first spinal surgery till this very minute, I have not allowed those problems to have a major impact on my life. Yes, I know I had to make some adjustments, there were things I could no longer do, I did miss on things. But because of all of this, I picked up new skills and learned so much more that I would never had learn before.

I am a chronic pain patient, I have been on daily dosages of narcotics for over 10 years now , with an assortment of other medications.. I am happy, I am content, I love my life, I love my family and friends. I enjoy each and every day.

An example of my adjustments. I used to play golf, not well, but had fun at it. That activity is no longer an option for me at all.. My wife started to pick up the game again and we love it. She plays and I drive the golf cart. I even attempt to be a analytic golf pro watching her strokes. I have as much fun doing this as I did when I played myself.

Another major reason you don't see that many success stories is because when those members recover and start to feel good, they slowly disappear from Spine-Health. I can not tell you how many members I had been in contact with over the years and how many have moved on. That is good, its good for them and I am very happy for them.

So, keep in mind as your read the threads/posts, these are situations from people who have active problems with their spines.

Life is good and waking up every day is about the best feeling anyone can have
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com