Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumbar surgery or SI injection

Has anyone here decided to have SI injection prior to having Lumbar Laminectomy surgery? May sound like a stupid question but my lumbar mri shows tiny right para cental disc herniation with multi level diffuse disc bulges and drgenerative changes with central and neural canal stenosis. Tried epidural injection in lumbar spine which only calmed things down pain for two weeks. Since lumbar degeneration and sacral joint issues have similar symptoms not sure whether to try SI injection before lumbar laminectomy. My pain is lower back and trunk pain which travels around to outside and front of hip and thigh down to knee and around to inside part of knee. Left side only with burning pain and spasms that are extraordinarly painful throughout day. Pain often travels past knee with burning to back of leg to foot. More pain with standing and walking but shooting pain occurs with all movements. Thanks for taking time to read my post.
Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis

• Your surgeon should be able to tell you where he feels that your pain is coming from according to the dermatomes in the suspected spinal area, and where it effects you on the body. If there were reason to believe that the SI joint was the problem, then he should have recommended that you get the injection.
    Depending on how severe the compression is in the canal and nerve roots, would determine whether or not surgery is necessary to open the area back up.
    Mild means that it is there, but the usual treatment involves injections moderate is usually the benchmark point where surgery is considered, and severe usually means that without surgery , it will only worsen...if I were you, I would consult with my surgeon and ask him his opinion of whether it might be worthwhile to pursue the injection before the surgery.