Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days after PLIF

I am 5 days out. Feeling stronger each day. I was only in hospital 47 hours total.
Walked night of surgery about 5 min. I have a good feeling this was successful. My pain
Is different than before. I think it's just healing and incision pain. Ripped muscles
Etc. cautiously excited about the chance of new life.

• Just make sure to follow all of the post op instructions and most importantly the restrictions you were given so that your recovery goes smoothly and you don't do anything that might make things go south.........
    Especially when you are feeling good, as it appears that you are , it is easy to forget those no bending, lifting, twisting instructions or start doing housework or driving when you aren't medically ready for it..........
  • By the 3rd day I could tell and now am certain 90 percent plus of my pre op pain is gone.i am hoping all the pain im in now is just from impact and stress of the surgery. I My main pain now is incision and back muscles. I have been walking about 2 hours a day.. I wanted some opinions from others that have walked my path. im clear to drive on day 14.. but i will not because im still on meds. does anyone think short rides with others say less than 30 min would be harmful? id like to get out and ride perhaps walk in level public areas. input please ?
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/21/2013 - 6:57 AM
    One of the keys to a successful outcome to back surgery is to follow the restrictions of your doctor and to push yourself a bit.....at first, those first steps are all we can manage, and as we get better, we push a bit of distance. There is a balance that it is vitally important that you keep in mind at all times. A short ride may not hurt, but remember don't sit too long or travel too far, and walking should be slowly increased not all at once.
  • All my scabs are gone. wound seems to be healing very well. A couple days ago a lot of my stiffness subsided. I have resumed driving but no more than 15 min at a time.. Trying to be very cautious until my 6 week check up. I do not want to over do it. My posture is much better than before. I noticed i was hunching over a lot previously.Im still in pain. Its much more bearable and more easily managed. Its now a dull pain and pain in my SI joints.The SI joint pain existed prior to surgery. Some pain under the wound is dull and feels like pressure. I am hoping with time it goes away. I am tempted to bend but am resisting so far. Honestly my mobility is better know than in 6 or 7 years. I can cross my legs to tie shoes for the first time in at least 5 years.I know im in the very new in this process but i am optimistic. I think the good Lord put me in the successful group. Im trying to remember that above and below segments are now more vulnerable and to live life easier. im walking between 2-3 miles daily. I couldn't do that before.. It felt like stabbing pains in my lower back after 100 yards prior.I am not pain free but much better and hoping I will still mend. Im trying to keep a log for others considering or going through this for time line usage.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/05/2013 - 9:31 AM
    I'm glad to read that you are doing better. Just don't get tempted and give into doing things that you aren't cleared for yet, and talk to your surgeon before doing more than what he tells you in between visits.....it's too easy to want to rush into those things that we have missed out on doing for so long and far easier to forget just how bad it was......we don't want to see you have any setbacks now.