Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need some advice

I have herniated 3 disks L4 and L5 and then another one up the spine some. It happened first week of June and I have been to a Chiropractor and PT and have had shots. Now I am at a Nero Surgeon and about 5 days away from surgery. Scared to death lol.
Here is what happened. 1st week of June bad bad back pain. Chiropractor then PT then shots. Well about a month ago I was working and something happened to pinch my nerve in my leg, OMG the pain. Miserable! Was dealing with pain for about 3 months before but started to get it manageable then go to work one day and literally couldn't move. 1 month later here I am with pain in my leg and it hurts don't get me wrong. But there is a difference between hurting and surgery hurting.

Anyway, I have been told that I should go ahead with the surgery because this may happen again. I have already missed so much work I would like to get the surgery done recover and get back to life.

My question is, Should I go ahead with the surgery? Everything is set up and they are going to shave the bone to releve that pressure and pain? I am in sales and travel all the time and i just can't afford it to happen again. It has happen twice in a span of 4 months.

Any sound advice from people in the know?

Thank you


  • Only you can make the decision to have surgery. I can tell you what I would do, but that may not be that right choice for you. I have had 5 back surgeries. Three of the surgeries I was in so much pain beforehand that I was practically begging for it. From what I have read it seems you have tried conservative treatments. Surgery is usually the last resort after more conservative treatments have been exhausted.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • The decision to go ahead with surgery has to be made by you and your surgeon. While we all have our own experiences and can empathize and support you either way, you and your doctor only really know the extent of the condition in your spine, and what alternatives there may be to surgery and what the risks are to not going ahead with it.
    Are you confident in your surgeon's diagnosis and prognosis ? Are you comfortable with his answers ? Do you feel like he listens to you and to what your fears are? If so, then he is the doctor for you, if not, it may be that finding another surgeon who you are comfortable with is the answer....
    Check out the spine surgery forums under the treatment tab on the left- the neck and back surgery forum is the one you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.