Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What am I supposed to do at home?

CapsdadCapsdad Posts: 92
edited 09/21/2013 - 6:52 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I feel like I'm at a very conflicting time. I'm almost two weeks post MicroD and decompression l5-s1. What am I supposed to do all day? Docs say to walk and rest. I do 3, 15-20 minute walks a day. Other than that I lay around or walk around the house. I feel like a rotting piece of **edited** when I lay around but when I try to do things I get hurt. What do you do all day?

Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation Team
Please review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

Left side MicroD l5-s1 2/7/13. Re herniated immediately
Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.

• http://www.spine-health.com/blog/56-things-do-while-recovering-surgery

While three times a day is good, more often is better. Laying around is not.
  • I get that but I'm in pain after walking and my legs don't feel strong enough to support me.
    Revision bilateral MicroD and posterior lumbar decompression 9/9/13. Failed. L5-S1 fusion on 3/6/14.
  • Have you tried walking with a walker? Have you spoken with your doctor about the pain and weakness in your legs? Don't feel bad if you can't walk a ton. You have to build up to that. I had a staph infection after my first fusion, it left my legs very weak. I couldn't even step up on a curb. I used a walker with wheels and a seat to walk around the apartment complex where I lived at the time 3-4 times a day. It was maybe a ten minute walk. I was pretty much stuck in the recliner, played a lot of golf on the PS3 during that time. Maybe you should see about some PT if your doctor will allow it. The reason why she said you should walk more is because walking promotes circulation to your back which helps healing.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I use a cane when I walk. I see the doc Tuesday. They told me it'll be 10 from the date of surgery before I start pt. This whole process is messing me up mentally. I'm afraid of being disabled, of not finding a job, of being on permanent disability, of this surgery not working again. Everything has me scared. I'm 34 an otherwise healthy and active. I have a wife and two small kids and a house. An uncertain future is taking its toll on me
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 09/21/2013 - 8:37 PM
    Any spinal surgery, major or minor takes time to heal. 2 weeks is such a short period of time. First the body needs to time just to heal from having the surgery. After that, it takes time to recover. Its hard to identify a recovery period that fits all situations. Besides the actual type of surgery, there are so many other variables that come into play.

The most important thing to always keep in mind is to adhere to all the limitations and restrictions that were outlined by your doctor. Next is to do the Physical Therapy or exercises at home that you were instructed to do. In the beginning all of that will hurt. Your body needs time to mend and to adjust to the surgery and then to get to a level of strength and stability.

Thats only the physical aspect of it. The other side, the emotional side is something you have also identified. The fear of the future, what will be able to do? Can I find work?, Can I still be a good husband and father? That is all normal and again in time that will all unravel and be sorted out.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on the physical aspects right now. Doing all of that correctly and not going
    beyond what you should, the emotional turmoil should diminish and your future will be clearer.

I remember my first spinal surgery in 1978, I had those same fears emotionally and physically. I am now 63, 7 spinal surgeries later, 2 complete shoulder replacements, 1 total hip replacement, with another one scheduled next month.

I've enjoyed everything, at times I did more than I should have , which might have been one of the reasons for some follow on surgeries. But I learned to adjust and how live fully with my spinal problems. You would be surprised just how much it means to maintain a positive and upbeat attitude.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you dilauro. Being neurotic and worry some doesn't help me.
  • Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Back in 2009 I suffered what's known as a complete quadriceps tendon rupture on my right quad. Basically, my right quad tore into 2 pieces and I now have 3 cables holding my muscle down in place. The 3 cables are tunneled thru my knee cap and tied off below it. (Very rare injury to say the least).
    I wasn't allowed (doctors orders) to put my right foot on the floor for a total of at least 12 weeks, 2 of those weeks were spent in the bed. The doctor said that my quad had to completely turn to mush before I could remotely start to think about even so much as moving it. The only thing I could do during this time was wiggle my toes. It took 4 full months before I could walk without a walker or cane. During this time, due to my injury, I lost my job & all my insurance. I wasn't eligible for unemployment because I couldn't get out and look for a job and I wasn't eligible for disability because I wasn't down and out for at least 12 months. I too felt like an awful dad / husband because I couldn't provide for my family.

My advise is to take it easy and hang in there.

I also have kids, mortgage, other bills and the such but the good Lord brought us through it - safe and sound.

FYI - When I go into a neurosurgeon or orthopedic office.... I am the mythical unicorn. They have heard of this injury but haven't seen it in person or known anyone who suffered from it. :)
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)
  • Pink2lipPink2lip Posts: 123
    edited 09/24/2013 - 6:16 PM
    I am 8 weeks post pot for a tlif spinal fusion on l5/s1. I am in quite a bit of pain and use pain management. I was told I will be laid up 3-6 months. Right now PT isn't going well due to nerve pain. I lay down a lot because pt told me I was over doing it. I have only gone twice. I will be out of work for the full 3 months.

I was lucky to have a good source who had the surgery ans she warned me about quite a few things. Right now, i have disability and generally good heath insurance. For me lying down is the only comfy position. I don't go walking. The pt said 5 minutes back and forth only. Sorry this is long, fusing my spine is a big deal to me.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18