Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Serious back pain

Hi all, let me start this by letting you know a little bit about myself. I am a married 35 yr old woman, who has had 2 lumbar fusions (PLIF L4-S1) and (PLIF L3-L4) with hardware both times. I also have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, 2 more bulging discs (L1-L2 & L2-L3), osteoarthritis, reverse lordosis, 2 bone spurs in my hips, nerve root cysts at T1-T3, no curve in my neck and facet anthropy... there may be more that I just can't think of right now. I use a walker periodically around the house or when I know I will be doing a lot of walking. No matter what I buy at the store, I ALWAYS grab a cart to help me walk and have a disabled parking placard. I am currently trying to get disability and have had at least two doctors tell me that I am permanently disabled. I have also been told I need to have a spinal cord stimulator implant put in. I have gone through the psych evaluation and am waiting to hear from the doctors office to get the trial one scheduled, and am very hopeful that it will help. My doctor said he thinks it will give me as much as 80% relief which would be HUGE! I am currently taking percocet 10/325 for breakthrough pain and I wear a fentanyl 100mcg/hr patch that gets changed every 72 hours. I can't really tell if either of the pain meds are helping or not and am really hopeful to get off of them if th implant helps enough. I have been told if this doesn't help, there is nothing else that can be done to help me. I was doing pretty good dealing with the pain, but lately my inflammatory joint disease and peripheral neuropathy have been flaring up and I can't seem to get the inflammation under control again, (I just finished up with a round of predisone and the inflammation was BAD the day after my dose ended), and now my entire body, ESPECIALLY my back and hips have been feeling like they are covered in bruises. Even the slightest touch hurts. Then this morning our cat, Cheese, knocked my phone off the bed and without thinking about it I bent over to get it. I felt a rip in my right hip region and was instantly in EXCRUCIATING pain! My husband was standing next to me when it happened. He didn't hear anything, he just saw my facial expression change and knew something really bad just happened!! He immediately went after my walker and made me promise not to pick up anything else and wait for him to do it. I am still in A LOT of pain! I don't know what I can do to help the pain. I can't use heating pads because of the fentanyl, I haven't tried ice because I honestly just thought of it. What would you recommend me trying? I will probably end up going to the dr Monday if it hasn't eased. I am at the point with the doctor that I know there really isn't anything or much they can do for me to help me. Sorry to vent, my husband has been awesome helping me with all of this, I honestly don't think I could have a better guy... but he hasn't experienced anything like this (which I am very thankful for that, but he can't truly relate to it like I know all of you can. Please give me some advice.
2 more bulging discs; spinal stenosis; osteoarthritis; reverse lordosis at L3; degenerative disc disease; inflammatory joint disease; nerve root cysts at T1-T3; 2 level PLIF 4/9/09 and 3 level PLIF 9/6/12 with hardware both times
advertisement

Comments

• Ice packs, or better yet, those blue gel packs might help since they conform better to your body than regular ice packs, or a bag of frozen peas or corn might help to ease the pain the areas.
  • mky_frkmmky_frk Posts: 51
    edited 09/22/2013 - 6:00 AM
    I have some of those blue gel pads in the freezer now, and will definitely grab one after they are nice and frozen, or better yet, have my husband grab one for me before he goes to work tonight.
    2 more bulging discs; spinal stenosis; osteoarthritis; reverse lordosis at L3; degenerative disc disease; inflammatory joint disease; nerve root cysts at T1-T3; 2 level PLIF 4/9/09 and 3 level PLIF 9/6/12 with hardware both times
This discussion has been closed.