Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

myleogram AND two blood patches yet still migraines--help

IrishnissIIrishniss Posts: 1
edited 09/22/2013 - 12:55 PM in Pain Management
Hello friends. Two weeks ago I had a myleogram. I've had more SI injections and hip injections that you'd think I could handle anything. When the pain in my head didn't diminish I had my first blood patch this past Monday. By Thursday, had another. Left feeling hopeful. As long as I lay still and don't move I'm Tolerable. Moment I do- dibilitated. Headaches so bad I can't think. I have three kids, work, and depression kicking in. Someone have a story of hope that this is not my new "normal" ? Thanks and much appreciated whomever can respond. --
Peace and Balance-- Trish

• I didn't have any issues with my myleogram, but have suffered through CSF leaks that would not heal, and both times had to have surgery to fix them. I do sympathize with your pain. I know I was told to try caffeine (while I was trying to wait them out). It didn't work, but as long as you are medically allowed caffeine, maybe it is something you could try. I'd still suggest calling the nurse and asking about how much caffeine,etc. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • are Coca cola, the original kind, coffee or regular caffeinated tea....and as much as you can stand as often as you can . If the blood patch does not work, then consuming regular caffeinated drinks as your next best option.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 09/23/2013 - 5:20 PM
    I have not had a problem after my myelogram but I believe allmetal & sandi are correct, caffeine is suppose to kick it.
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, hope you are already over this episode by now.
    take care,
  • UGH. I feel your pain, Irishniss. There is nothing worse than a post-lumbar puncture headache. I will NEVER again have another myelogram.

I was given Fioricet (Butalbital, Acetaminophen and Caffeine) & was eating it like candy.
    I called the hospital. They said to keep my head elevated & wait it out. WAIT IT OUT??? Are you kidding me??? That is the worst pain imaginable. It feels like a bomb is fixing to go off in your head. They said it should go away on it's own in a few days.

Long story short, it was IMPERATIVE that I get relief, and soon. I went to the ER. They gave me TWO boluses of straight caffeine, & one bolus of fluids. Nothing. Then she gave me Hydrocodone. Nothing. Seconds seemed like hours & minutes seemed like days. Finally I was given IV Demerol which gave me instant relief.

I was sent home after 3 hours in the ER. 3 hours later the headache returned. It was late in the evening so I had to wait until morning to call anyone. I wasn't about to go back to the ER, it's ridiculously expensive. They offered to do a blood patch at their pain management clinic, but it was out of my network & they wanted payment of $600 up front. So I suffered for almost 2 weeks because I could not afford treatment.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • Hi
    I had a dura tear with my last spine surgery and thank God was told to lie flat in my hospital bed for 7 days.
    I am worried that the "hole" from the mylogram might hace gotten larger and now you might have a "tear"

Can you see your surgeon ASAP, you just might need repair surgery

Hope you get relief very soon
    Hugs and blessings