Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sitting hurts after surgery?

Hi all

I am now almost six weeks post-op lamenectomies, discectomy, dura tear and graft

And I find SITTING (especially on a hard chair, like a dining room wooden one)

PAINFUL,, especially in the fanny

Is this "Normal" post-op pain?

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING Pain and discomfort with sitting for any legnth of time?

• 15 months later I still struggle to sit on anything hard.... so I don't. Of course that makes Cracker Barrel out and I have to carry a pad for football games... but I still think this will go away... it is much better, just not gone.

I know you've had a rough couple of months. Hang in there.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • OMG! My fanny hurt like you know what after I had surgery for my infection after my first fusion. Didn't matter what kind of chair, hard or soft. It would almost bring me to tears. My mother in law eventually made me this huge pillow to sit on. It helped out. The pain progressively went away. I do still have a little bit of a rough time sitting in hard(wood) chairs every now and then.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 09/23/2013 - 3:42 AM
    Misery loves company LOL

Thanks and hugs
    SmilinRose. When not sitting down
  • I wrote ALLMETAL

This kindle drives me crazy

So sorry

• While giving me instructions for activities at home post-op I asked my surgeon if I could shower sitting down on my shower stool. He emphatically said NO, sitting is the worst thing you can do!

I am 2 months post-op and am able to sit on surfaces that are shaped correctly but anything else makes me have pain in my leg like I had pre-op as well as low back pain. It is getting better with time but I think we all have to understand that sitting after spinal surgery is going to be painful and in some cases, apparently could cause a certain amount of set-back. I am now using my shower stool but still cannot sit comfortably on our sofa. No idea how long it may take to become comfortable again, or maybe it never will. At any rate, my back problems are so much better that I can live with the challenges of places to sit. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Thanks linda for the "sitting" reply

Also do you have swelling where your surgery was?

Thanks and hugs
    SmilinRose. (Formerly aka StenosisRose)
  • anastasia3aaanastasia3a Posts: 67
    edited 09/24/2013 - 4:58 AM
    I am 14 weeks post op and was really afraid to go back to my desk job at 11 weeks. Sitting is the hardest thing to do. I have to admit, I can see gradual improvement the farther out I get. I still have achiness but it is getting better. I have to get up and move around quite a bit. Just drove to and from New York City over the weekend (8 hours each way) and walked, walked, walked around the city. I was very achy and sore but I did it, and I'm not too sore now. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to everyone. This has been quite and experience!
    Laminectomy and 2 level Open PLIF L3-L5
    48 years old, Office Manager