Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgeries (4) with 5 cervical fusions: pillow-help please

DX: DDD started at age 31, scoliosis, osteoarthritis, stenosis, osteoporosis. Now 61.

History: 5 cervical fusions: 1 in 1986, 1987 and 1990; and had 2 more Nov. 2012. Now fused C3-4 through C7-T1.
Lumbar laminectomy. Severe scoliosis in lumbar and thoracic.

Treatment: Had pain management injections periodically from 2002 - 2009, but no longer due to osteoporosis. Using TENS unit (little results). Back braces: several (ladder back, turtle shell) but best results is 'warm & form' corset.

Biggest Issue: Cervical discomfort; especially sleeping. We have a Sleep Number bed, but the pillow is the issue. I have at least 10 pillows but still difficult.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have found that a body pillow works wonders for me instead of all of those pillows. Two of them one for each side and then a memory foam pillow for my head.
    don't be fooled into thinking its just another memory foam pillow ..ITS NOT ..its an anatomically correct pillow and its unique as there is not another like it as tempur have the patent on it .its a strange shape but will fit in to a normal pillow slip ,they are expensive but I would not sleep on any other pillow .its NOT the figure of 8 type or a V shape its special shape.. google tempur millennium queen in large then order one from your local supplier they are available all over the world .everyone that I have recommended them to loves them ,you may find it a little strange at first but it won't take you long to love it ..mine has been on holiday with me and in hospital and will be going to jersey with me next week.as I can't stand any other pillow .please trust me you won't be wasting your money they are amazing .I have spent thousands on mattresses and pillows over the years and I have found the millennium queen to be the best .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 10/07/2013 - 12:40 PM
    Not sure how it would help with cervical issues, but I know there are tons of options with "pregnancy pillows". Might want to good those and look around to see if you find anything different from what you tried.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I take it your neck is the problem ?? the pillow that I have suggested is unique its anatomically correct google an image of it and read reviews I think amazon sell them but shop around as they vary in price a lot don't purchase of ebay as you may not get a genuine one go for a authorised tempur dealer .I saves 33 % on mine I love it .I am going on family business and I am taking it with me ..it been to hospital and on holiday with me ..they are very comfy ..it may take a week to get used to it but once you have tried it you won't go back
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
This discussion has been closed.