Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

swelling by incision site?

Hi buddies all,

I noticed that my back brace seemed unusally uncomfortable and i could not wait to get home to remove ut.

When I did, my husband noticed that my back was swollen above and around the top of my incision
(L2) area? Highest level lamenectomy for this surgery was ( L 3-4)

I am tomorrow six weeks post-op, is swelling at this point nirmal?
Anyone have a clue?

Love to my back surgery buddies all,
SmIlinRose. (Formerly StenosisRose)
advertisement

Comments

• RennersChickRRennersChick Posts: 228
    edited 09/23/2013 - 1:12 PM
    Although I can't say for sure what is happening with your incision, I will say that at one point a couple of days ago, I tried wearing jeans. I was good most of the day, but then later found that my incision site was irritated and slightly swollen. I iced it on and off that night and a little the next day and it went away. I don't know if it is "normal" I just know that it happened because of irritation for me. I would try icing it and maybe putting something between the brace and your incision to keep irritation to a minimum. If that doesn't help I'd call your doctor.
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • I see my surgeon for my first post-op tomorrow

Lets see what he says

Thanks
    Rosie
  • I had a lot of swelling around my incision up to the 6 week mark. My surgeon thought it was weird, but he said the fluid would be reabsorbed eventually, and he was right. Good luck!
  • RennersChickRRennersChick Posts: 228
    edited 09/23/2013 - 4:03 PM
    Let us know what is said. I am very curious to hear about it.
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • Incision swelling can occur, especially with the use of the brace, since it is so tight and restrictive. If the incision is not hot, red or tender more than normal post op tenderness and it is not oozing, then it should be okay.
  • You're correct

My swelling and discomfort is usually after wearing the tight back brace for a legnth of time.

When i asked about the swelling i was told " it's normal, you just had major surgery"

Hugs
    Smilinrose
advertisement