Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

14 days out of surgery, microdiscectomy L5, S1

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am now 14 days post op, microdiscectomy L5, S1. I am virtually pain free, a twinge here and there, and a little lower back ache. I am writing because I lost a lot of strength in my right calf and was wondering will it come back? My radiculopathy had only started about 5 weeks before surgery. The herniation was very large, over 14 mm, and I just wanted to know how long it took for other people to regain function in their calf. Thank you in advance.

• I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

The loss of muscle tone and strength , and regaining it takes some time after surgery. I am assuming that there was no nerve compression since you don't mention numbness or tingling , but it can take some weeks and possibly a few months to regain muscle strength. It would be a good idea to make a list of questions that you have and discuss them with your surgeon at your follow up visit.
  • There was significant compression, radiology report said flattening of the thecal sac. There is numbness in the last 2 toes of the right foot, as well as numbness on the bottom, heel, and diminished achilles reflex. I just didn't mention them because they are lower on my worry list than the weak firing to the gastroc muscle. I have another follow up on Friday, but the surgeon has been wishy washy on whether or not I will ever recover this function. He just says it is a complicated process, so I was hoping to find people that have been through the same thing and see how their recovery progressed. I was a very active person and avid runner before this, just hoping to get back to it.
  • Nerve recovery is a long, long process. I have read studies that say that nerves regenerate at about a rate of 1mm per month, so depending on the length of the damage, the location of it, and the extensiveness of it is going to dictate how much and how long it will take for those nerves to recover.
    If you do a search on a dermatome map, you will see where each vertebral level innervates a different part of the body. I had my first surgery in March of 2006, and my second in August of 2007, and it took some months and even years before I found that some of the nerve damage improved. I also suffered a spinal cord injury and so parts of it have not recovered at all and most likely won't.....peripheral nerves (those nerve roots and in the limbs of the body ) tend to recover much better than those that are injured in the cord itself. Flattening of the thecal sac does not necessarily mean that the canal nerves were damaged , so you may see a lot of improvement over time..