Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Contradictory MRI findings

Hi everyone,
This sounds a bit hasty i think. however, i had 05 MRIs after my helicopter crash. Following is the detailed findings i recieved after every MRI.

(i) MRI on 8-11-13 (02 days after my crash landing) revealed:-
Circumferential disc bulges at CV4-CV5 and CV5-CV6 intervertebral disc levels with indentation of thecal sac at both levels.

(ii) MRI on 22-2-13 revealed:-
Central posterior disc bulges at CV4-CV5 and CV5-CV6 intervertebral disc levels causing indentation of thecal sac.

(iii) MRI on 25-06-13 revealed:-
Posterior concentric bulges of intervertebral discs at CV4-5 and CV5-6. Straightening of cervical spine noted suggestive of paravertebral muscular spasm.

(iv) MRI on 16-09-13 revealed:-
Normal appearance of vertebral bodies and posterior elements of spine. Inter-vertebral discs appear normal. No disc protrusion or herniation is seen in the spinal canal. Lateral recesses appear normal. Cervical spinal cord appears normal no evidence of any area of abnormal signal intensity inside spinal cord.

(v) MRI on 23-09-13 revealed:-
Poor signal reversal of nuclei pulposes of C4-5 and C5-S1 intervertebral discs are seen on T2WS (Desiccatory Changes). Central Posterior protrusion of C4-5 and C5-6 interbertebral disc is seen resulting in compression of Thecal Sac and lateral recesses. Spinal Cord is also minimally compressed posteriorly. Prominent Osteophytes are seen along posterior aspect of C4, C5 and C6. Spinal Canal narrowing is observed at these levels.

AS u have noticed above my 04 MRIs suggests that i have disc bulges at CV4-CV5 and CV5-CV6 intervertebral disc levels. however, my 4th MRI revealed that i have no issue whatsoever. For the last about 10 months i was treated as a patient with disc bulges. After 4th MRI my military doctor Brig asad qureshi ( i m a military helicopter pilot aged 34 years) just do not except rest of the 04 results. he says u r perfectly alright and trying to fix the system. As of now my physical condition has gotten worse. I always have neck pain which radiates to upper half of back and and arms. my hand fingers are numb most of the time. I can not sleep more them 3 hours at a stretch. and i have also developed bowel and urine issues.
My question is Is it really difficult to access an MRI blue print or i am just being ignored ? i'll be grateful and anxious for your worthy replies.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    You should be able to get copies whether in print or on disc (which is most common) from the records dept of the clinic/hospital where the MRI was performed. Sometimes they may charge a small fee for that service but it's not a bad idea to get any records for future reference.
  • thanx alot Ranger for your kind reply. really appreciated,
    i have the mri prints with me. but question remain same. has anyone had same issue as far as mri findings are concerned ? or is it like expertise level of radiologists/spinal surgeons is questionable in my part of the world ?
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 09/26/2013 - 3:22 PM
    Not sure on the expertise level but I think anywhere in the world, humans can make mistakes and accidently overlook something. Just get as many opinions as you deem necessary to give you that feeling of confidence in your prognosis.
    Hope all goes well for you, stay in touch with your findings.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 09/26/2013 - 8:45 PM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • thanx liz & ranger for your valuable advises. i will surely let u know the outcome.
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 09/27/2013 - 8:45 PM
    That does seem odd, and could be untrained eye evaluating the MRI. I would ask for another radiologist to reread that 4th MRI, given your other MRIs seem to express problems in the same area.
    When it comes to radiologist I seems to recall that cheating scandal, where military Drs were cheating on the board qual examines.
    I think you are entitled to a second opinion

Link removed, not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • and herniations for that matter can be positional and resolve on their own accord. If they are not significant bulges but rather smaller ones or very slight, they may have been either or of the listed above.
    An MRI is a snap shot of your spine, taken at a moment in time, and depending on how you are positioned, whether or not you are having muscle spasms, whether your spine is in anatomical alignment can all effect what is shown or not shown in the reports, and of course, the ability to detect /decipher what is on the images is left to the radiologist. A good spine surgeon is going to review the report but take each image himself or herself and determine what they see in it....if the surgeon only goes by what he sees in the report, find another surgeon.
  • thanx necksoup and sandi. i have tken an appointment with another surgeon which is on 12th oct. hopefully the confusion is going to be clear.