Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anthony ramos

• I very much wanted this surgery done, but they won't do it on me due to weight. Instead I had a discectomy. I don;t know that I've seen anyone post that, but I could be wrong.
    36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
    3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
    6 PT visits in 2013
    Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
    Re-herniated in January 2014.
    Epidural on 3/3/14.
    A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14
  • outcomes, from what I have read are not good choices. They tend to allow far too much rotation and movement that the L5-S1 area is not normal for that level of the spine. Often it results in damage to the facet joints, and a revision to fusion at a later date.
    Revision surgery or I should say removal surgery for a failed adr is life threatening due to the major abdominal blood vessels that run through the area.
    What disc were you considering?

anthony ramos
  • That's what I need,but at the mo my spinal consultant wont even discuss surgery.Hes sent me instead for a nerve block injection ive been suffering for over 2yrs now in chronic pain but I don't think hes interested !!
  • The Pro Disc at L5 has a horrible outcome long term in that area. That particular area of the lumbar spine does not move nearly as much and the rotation is not there as it is in the rest of the lumbar spine so putting a disc replacement in there, that allows far too much flexion and extension in an area of your pelvis where it is not meant to have that much motion tends to cause facet issues later on, sometimes very early on, and often winds up needing to be revised to fusion.
    I would really reconsider going ahead with this surgery before the 28th........do more research into outcomes of prodisc at L5...
  • After reading all this very useful information I think I would think again about having my disk replaced,im only in my 30s & I don't want to end up in a worse situation.Thanks again for all advice this site provides.
  • and I was told that I needed surgery, I did tons of research into artificial discs.......since they were relatively new to the spine surgery world, I was hopeful that they would be the answer to my problems. I did tons of research and found , and still find that certain discs, especially those approved in the US have much better outcomes in the cervical area of the spine since we do have so much flexion, extension and rotation in our cervical spines that we don't have in the lumbar. The L5-S1 area of the spine has little in the way of those movements and the discs out there allow far too much of those movements in that area of the spine. Too many of the outcomes and studies that I have read have shown major facet issues in putting a disc in that space , that allows too many degrees of flexion and extension when the spine does not anatomically allow for that...
    And the revision surgery can be life threatening since we have major blood vessels in the abdominal area that if nicked can cause life threatening blood loss. The surgeons capable of doing that type of revision are too few and far between to remove the disc. The only option is to fuse it, rather than try to remove it.
  • I am considering having either my L5 S1 fused or a full disc replacement. If you have had a fusion or disc replacement in your L5 S1 I would love to hear all about it. Even if you have talked to a doctor about it but havent had the procedure done yet Id like to hear your thoughts based on what doctors are telling you.

• I have already had and L4 L5 Fusion and and L5 S1 Microdisectomy. Now after 5 or 6 years and many years of trying to treat the pain in other ways I am considering the above options. Has anyone been in the same situation? I do not want more hardware in my back for a fusion and I have heard that the fusions done without hardware are not very successful. I also have heard that the Charite disc has been pulled off the market and has its own set of issues. Are there any other options? This pain seems to be getting worse every day. It's isolated to my lower back but at times I can feel my toes burning and have some tingling sensations in my legs.
  • I am an active 34 yo male, father of 3. I am currently recovering from surgery on 07/26/2016 in which the prodisc 1-L was implanted at L5-S1. My disc was herniated in an injury I sustained in the military almost exactly 10 years ago. Over the years, I had cortisone injections and epidurals, which started off effective, and worked less and less over time. In May, 2014, I had a microdiscectomy. the surgery had me virtually pain free for about 8 months. then I began getting pain again, but no sciatica, as the microdiscectomy fixed that. All the pain was in my low back. At that point, I started the injections and chiropractic again to no avail. I even had RF ablasions, which were ineffective for the most part. That's how I got to the disc replacement surgery. Right now I am on day 6 of my recovery, and I feel good. My pain is pretty much limited to the incision in my belly. For me, the surgery was worth it, but everyone has different issues when it comes to the complex world of low back pain.
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 354
    I am seriously considering ADR, but in Germany with a M6-L made by Spinal Kinetics.  Ironically, this disc is made in California, but not FDA approved in USA or Canada.  I hear/read it is superior to the ones implanted in USA or Canada in that it functions most like a natural disc.  I know and have spoken with people who've had the same surgery and are giving very favorable reports.  It is difficult to find people on this forum who've had ADR, much less the M6-L abroad.  @cg212003 I hope your recovery only continues to improve!
This discussion has been closed.