Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking to relieve sciatica due to herniated disc

After having 2 Micro-D's this summer I just found out this week that the same disc (L4-5) has herniated a third time. I have decided to hold off for awhile on any more surgeries. I am hoping that over some time with other measures I may be able to relieve the sciatic pain I have in my left butt, leg and calf. I am only 4 weeks post op today. I see my surgeon again on Oct 7th to assess my symptoms. I am hoping at that time I may be able to begin some PT to help. Right now my surgeon only wants me to do light stretching and walking.
Has anyone had success with relief over time with their herniated disc?
Previous MRI's I had done in April and July showed that my L5-S1 was also bulging. What is so strange that through all I have been through my most recent MRI I had a week ago shows that disc has corrected itself with no protrusions showing at this time. I'm not sure if that was due to the walking I was doing 2 weeks prior to my 2nd Micro-D or not.
I am just hoping that if I continue with my walking and possible PT my body may be able to start to heal and I may feel some relief with the nerves in my leg.
I have been off work (I work in an office and sit all day) since June 20th. I am hoping to return to work on Oct 14th.
I would love to hear from anyone that has had success with this. Am I dreaming to think I may be able to relieve my symptoms enough to return to work in 2 weeks?
Micro-D June 21,2013
Micro-D August 30,2013
L4-L5 Fusion October 1,2013

• catfishmanccatfishman Posts: 185
    edited 09/27/2013 - 2:21 PM
    i have done pretty well lately, i have herniated l5,s1 and bulging l4,l5, that is what my mri said over 2 years ago. i tried shots, did not last long. i still take plenty of medicine, gabapentin, celebrex, and nucynta er. i do stretches every morning, only takes about 45 minutes. i walk all day long at work, and lift things. i realize that it could all change at any minute. i used to get on my inversion table everyday, have not been on it in 4 months. oh, i also take vitamin b complex gummy, someone on here recommended it. there was a time when i was ready to get the microdiscectomy, kinda glad i put it off for now. wish you the best.
  • Hi Catfishman,
    So glad to hear you are doing well over the last 2 years. Are you having sciatica issues as well in your legs? Mine is mainly in my buttocks and hamstrings but carry down into the calf and foot. I am not presently taking anything except 800 mg Ibuprofen and Extra Strength Tylenol every day. I'm not sure if I will be able to continue with just these meds or will need to be referred to Pain Management for other nerve meds. I will certainly try the vitamin B complex gummy though if you think that seems to help.
    Micro-D June 21,2013
    Micro-D August 30,2013
    L4-L5 Fusion October 1,2013
  • yes i get the sciatica, but not anywhere near as bad as it used to be. i used to have real pain in the piriformis area also. i really dont know if the gummies help, but they dont hurt either, plus they are cheap. my last real bad pain was back pain, back in about January, lifted something wrong, back hurt real bad for 2-3 weeks. once in a while i will feel the sciatic pain travel to the front of my leg, like the shin area. also one thing i hardly do is sit, unless going for a ride, or eating. it may sound silly, but i am either standing, or laying.