Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Issues?

Post Op, June 10, 2013, L4 to S1 fusion. I had no complications, literally the poster child for spinal fusions. Limited pain meds, everything was just perfect. Then, I went to the eye Dr, I had the time, so before I went back to work, I decided to get my eyes checked because I'd been having some blurred vision (figured I needed to get new glasses). The Optometrist diagnosed Papilledema, that afternoon, my regular Dr sent me to the hospital for an MRI to rule out a brain tumor. It came back clean and I was turned over to a Neurologist and Ophthalmologist. For some reason, I have swelling behind my eyes that is now destroying my vision (20/25 - 20/35 in one month), I'm on a med called Diamox that's supposed to decrease spinal fluid, therefore alleviate the pressure, but it's a very slow process as the meds take a while to get rid of the fluid accumulation, therefore my eyeballs are "horrifically" swollen and have been for quite some time. I'm going for a lumbar puncture next week however that does freak me out a bit due to the recent surgery in that area. I'm diagnosed as Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, meaning an abundance of spinal fluid without a known cause, People with IIH are on meds their whole life, have shunts placed to divert fluid flow...all to save their vision because of this thing that just happens for seemingly no reason at all. I'm not convinced that's what I have, I didn't have issues with this until AFTER the spine surgery. Of course my surgeon says there is no correlation between the papilledema and my surgery however the neuro and eye docs aren't convinced the two are unrelated. I'm an RN, and I know the mechanics of the body, imagine a hydraulic system, or a water hose.....if you clamp or kink any part of the hose, there will be pressure somewhere, especially if the system is contained. I'm not looking for a lawsuit, I'm not blaming anyone, I just want to get myself fixed. Has anyone ever heard of this type of complication after a fusion?

• Oh boy
    Sounds like a dura tear to me
    I had one during surgery and my surgeon repaired it ASAP during surgery to stop the leaking spinal fluid.

Surgeons are SUED for dura tears sometimes and this is why they wont admit it when it happens ,but
    Its common if the herniations are severe ir stenosis is severe

I had tge needle aspiration (like a spinal tap) and it was really painless
    You feel the pinch of course of the needle putting in the lidocaine, but after that its ok, not painful, but pressure

Hope this helps