Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The more activity the more PAIN???? post lumbar surgery

Hi buddies,

I am now a wopping 7 weeks post-op and trying to walk more, sit more, but not much

Is the normal????

Thanks for your input, i know we are not medical professionals , but curious if other lumbar surgery buddies are having the same problem

Still SMILINROSE but getting a bitty concerned

PS, sorry for all of the typos with all of my posts and replies. Its this darn KINDLE
it makes me look illiterate and I graduated top of my class

• Yes, when I had my surgery it was like that for the first few months......increased walking or sitting ( in fact sitting was the worst part for me) would send my reeling........part of it, is needing to retrain your body a bit, by pushing through, increasing the length of time by a minute at first, then a few minutes, then 5 minutes and so on, and part of it the muscles and spine trying to adjust to it's new alignment and positioning......the surgeon told me if it hurts too much, then don't do it , but to also learn to push myself a bit at the same time
  • Oh you gave me a bit of hope
    Hugs from my heart
  • I get a lot of pain when I walk at the mall and grocery stores. I have saved a lot of money by not shopping.

I used to use a nook so I know how the typing gets crazy. I upgraded to an ipad mini and love it.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • I will have to check into those....
    I wish i could sit at my computer and type like a normal person
    But sitting HURTS!!!!!
    Thanks Sweetie again
  • Keep in mind that your body has had a major assault on it and it's going to take a while to work all the kinks out! If you can tolerate warm baths, try to sit (modify lay) to see if the warm water helps loosen tight muscles which could be causing your pain. Heating pad may help as well.

Good Luck!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I never thought of heat because i still have some swelling
    but its worth a try or not?
  • Hi Rose- I know you've had a really tough time. I had fusion in June this year and my pain is continuing. My pain doctor prescribed me a TENS unit (E-stim device to use at home). I've only had it for a couple of days but find it does help with the pain and especially the muscle spasms in my butt. You may want to ask your doctor about getting one and see what they say... just a thought. I still get really sore after doing a lot of activity, but weirdly enough, I also get really sore if I lay around too much and don't do enough. It's such a hard balance to find. Hope you start feeling better soon!
    Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015
  • Tens unit!!!!!!!
    I own one and never use it
    Great idea!
    Thanks so much
  • radiculopathousrradiculopathous Posts: 19
    edited 10/04/2013 - 8:41 AM
    That's definitely the dynamic I'm experiencing. If I move about, I can expect that about 3-4 hours later it will flare up. And the flaring up is directly proportional to how much shuffling about I've done.
    I've just spent another insane night of pain, day 4 post-op... because I got too ambitious yesterday and I ventured to work for a few hours on the subway. Stupid old me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Even to this day (last lumber surgery1989, cervical 2000), if I have too much activity, in plain words - overdo it, I will pay a price. I think this is something that almost everyone who has had spinal surgery realizes down the road.

Initially, its a like a new budding romance, things look pretty good, perhaps a few bumps in the road, but the honeymoon is still there!

As we get older, our bodies also get older requiring more to bounce back. Again, like a relationship. After years, some arguments take just a little more to get over them.

One thing to keep in mind, its ok to do some more activity , but do NOT push yourself beyond where you should be, in the time frame of your surgery.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I wish i knew if i am crossing the line doing too much and going to re-injure my spine
    Or is it angry muscles and nerves fighting me because i am using them?

I read about those who have re-herniated discs ONLY A FEW WEEKS AFTER SURGERY and it scares the hell out of me

Did the surgeon do a terrible job or did they OVERDO it and cause some damage?????

How does a person know?

Perplexed and concerned Rose
  • It is a fine line to balance to push a little to increase your stamina and endurance and not push so hard as to reinjure yourself. The best advice that I got was to stop when it really hurt.......to not let it get to that point. To push to try to increase my self a bit but not so far that I was causing pain.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 10/04/2013 - 4:07 PM
    Ive been on ice still and feeling a bit better

My husband knows that i am scared and HE IS HAPPY

he said with my total hip replacement i was Paranoid and followed teh hip restrictions to a T
    but i am not as careful with the back restrictions
    Why he asks

My answer -after six months of healing a hip, i just need to move on and be as normal as possible with my back surgery
    I only had two "normal back to life months" before the back surgery
    And i emotionally cant go through a long recovery period again

I need to be more careful though and try to think that my its going to be okay sooner rather than later
    But not knowing for two years if my damaged nerves (CES) is going to regenerate

Hip precautions are more specific and easier to follow than the spine restrictions
  • I had my surgery in March and I had leg pain and butt pain for 4 mths.Then the dr sent me to pt and they worked me hard and it worked.I now have no more butt pain or leg pain and im back to work feeling good.It takes time to heal.My dr didn't want me to over due for 4 mths so I rested and used ice everyday which really helped a lot.Stay strong and I wish you a full recovery. Kathy
    Kathy B
  • Rose. I sleep so much. As much as I can. I am almost 3 months post op. However, I am afraid to go back to work fthe stress of sitting all day while my body grows my fusion. I am so early in my recovery. I know you have been put through the ringer for the beginning recovery period. I find it hard to be patient. I know it is for the best but I always push myself. My laundry piles up and it takes for ever to put it in the wash with a grabber. I do have a 12 year old who helps enough witin reason. I think like you think i gotta do something. Push myself. I look back and know I broke the rules here and there.

Taking a shower post fusion is a challenge because we have a clawfoot bathtub and climbing in and out takes work. We have a laundry chute that helps out with the laundry.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 10/06/2013 - 11:27 AM
    My biggest problem is I AM BORED and tired of being a recovering patient
    This patient has NO PATIENCE.LOL
    so doing anything around the house is better than doing nothing for me.

I put laundry in the washer, take it out and put in the dryer WITHOUT USING THE REACHER 90 percent of the time.
    Who do I think I am not to be careful and be cautious? I am my worst enemy

Like someone posted(paraphrasing) why would you want to do something stupid just to undo what the surgery did to repair the problem?

I was in bed all of soring and summer 2012. With severe back pain, went to the docs in the fall and found out that my hip had collapsed, so instead of having the much NEEDED back surgery, I had a total hip replacement in December.

Finally stopped being a recovering patient from that probably around June, then started all over again with tests, MRI, CT SCANS , PRE-OP blah blah blah and then spine surgery in AUGUST,in the hospital for 3 WEEKS, not 3 days and finally started feeling better after so many complications,about two weeks ago.

Not feeling or being that recovering patient patient anymore.
    And now i am suffering the consequences for my STUPIDITY and found FREEDOM.

I start outpatient PT next week, maybe they can wirk miracles for my butt (SADDLE) pain or i am in trouble again.
    This Cauda Equina Syndrome stinks!

Thanks again to all of my caring buddies all
    ( to tell you the truth, i didn't think anyone read my posts or followed my plight) but many buddies do!
    if i read my posts, i would think that this person is making this stuff up or is a hypocrondriac.
    But its all true

This August surgery was my # 14 since age 9

And it's okay and I will survive this one as well
  • Remember there is a difference between being in pain and being injured. I think Ron described it very well. I still over do it sometimes and I lay in bed kicking myself (metaphorically) because I knew what I was doing was going to hurt later. Unless you've been told otherwise, perhaps a NSAID (motrin) may help with some of your aches and pains?

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I was told by my surgeon to try LYRICA
    but i am having kidney and urinary track problems
    Its contraindicated now

My surgeon told me after spinal surgery, NSAIDS can cause bleeding as everything is trying to heal in the spine
  • Hi Rose! I am 6 days post-op lumbar microdiscectomy, and noticed an increase in pain and soreness after I did one of my little walks up the driveway. There's a delicate balance between not doing enough and doing too much. It's just hard to figure out how to stay in between. :/
    "Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
    ~Christopger Robin
    >:D< >:-D< :hug:
  • 7 days post-op and I started getting a stabbing pain in my butt over the weekend if I was over doing it. It literally felt like someone was sticking me with a knife. It would go away the minute I stopped doing what I was doing at the moment. I also get a crampy feeling in my calf when I have been up on my feet to long. All these pains go away as soon as I lay down and rest for awhile and the next time i get up I'm fine. Until today, I have had a pain in my ankle all night and day. No matter what I do the pain won't go away. I remember that this is the same pain that started 5 days post-op for my first Micro-D. So thinking that this is normal, at least for me, I should be alright. It is more of an annoyance than hinderance. Hope that your pains are getting better.

Thoughts and Hugs.

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • I did and thought it was so strange since I needed to be up and walking. Taking a muscle relaxer throughout the day and one perc at night to help me sleep. Mentioned it to PA last Thursday at last visit before work release. Mentioned it and she suggested takinga magnesium supplement (equivalent to eating a banana a day). What a HUGE difference. So much better.
  • Well, walked and sat tooooo long yesterday in the car and on a bench on the boardwalk
    CAPE MAY NJ was gorgeous yesterday, just looking at the sun glistenung on the ocean waves makes one forget evetything.

Then i said to my husband " uh oh, my butt is killing me"
    Time to get off of the boardwalk bench!...... this cute 90 year old man said " can i help you get up"?
    Ayyyyyy, he was doing so.much better than me and i am 30 years younger than he.

So he and my husband and a few other elderly people watch me struggle to rise off of the bench.

It felt like tight muscle butt pain and with some walking, i DID loosen up eventually
    But still paying for the lovely Sunday trip to Cape May today.....

• Just went to Cape May a few weeks ago, probably sat on the same bench as you watching the waves. Love Cape May!!! Glad you were able to loosen up after walking a bit. Talking about the 90 yr old offering his help, last year we spent the winter in FL and my back and sciatic was at its worst, I was in agony. I remember watching 90 year olds power walking and biking circles around me. At that time, I made the decision to get surgery. Dawned on me, I wasn't really participating in life. I hope to keep up with the seniors this winter!!
    PLIF fusion L4-L5 and Decompression July 31