Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weather Lumbar Fusion

Pink2lipPink2lip Posts: 123
edited 10/02/2013 - 6:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. I wanted to know how the weather affects your spinal fusion. I had a lumbar fusion this past summer and noticed the weather is affecting me. Today it is cloudy and damp here in NY. I live in the snowbelt and the gloomy winter will be here soon. Our winter lasts a long time. I wish I was back in sunny NC, but I am stuck in ny.
40 year old mom
Tlif July 18

• jmhar68jjmhar68 Posts: 60
    edited 10/02/2013 - 4:37 PM
    Cold and damp weather intensify the muscle spasms in my thoracic region. It makes things tougher, that is for sure. Keeping my head and feet warm even inside helps.I am going to try an IR heat lamp this winter to see if I can mitigate the effect.
  • Pink2lip said:
    Hello. I wanted to know how the weather affects your spinal fusion. I had a lumbar fusion this past summer and noticed the weather is affecting me.
    I feel like a walking weather barometer :-) I can tell when the weather is changing, often before the weather report. I knew a day before we a big thunderstorm because my back was hurting so much. If it is going to rain, I can tell. I wasn't doing too bad in the summer when we had hot dry weather for weeks on end... but now that we are into fall and it is cloudy and rainy, I am sore most of the time.

48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • I had my fusion in June and was getting better but now I'm hurting more and more again at the levels below my fusion. Today has been terrible and we're expecting our first freezing rain and snow tonight and tomorrow. As soon as the pressure started dropping I started hurting more so I agree that weather affects pain levels. My ankles are also telling me and they've had 5 surgeries so I figure that's the problem. Had to triple my narcs today to cope with the pain. Ugh
    Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015
  • lisaann1968llisaann1968 Amherst NYPosts: 2
    I too had lumbar Fusion with Hardware in April 2015 I live in Buffalo New York and it's now fall and today I'm really hurting I have a new cervical herniation that's causing tremendous neck and thoracic pain I think it's just part of the whole mess that I'm in but I definitely agree that the weather affects our bodies now and different ways. Do you by chance also live in Western New York?
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

You can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.