Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting extremely aggravated!

I have a protruding disc causing sciatica down my left leg and now butt cheeks! I always feel like something is bulging out of my back when I lay down. I had my 1st spinal epidural shot in June in which it kicked in after 2 weeks and I was doing great for about 2.5 months. Now here we are again I am in pain and I had injection #2 a few days ago based upon past experiences and what I'm feeling so far i am looking at 2 weeks to feel better then I should be fine and hopefully not require another shot! Here is where my aggravation comes in! I was referred to a pain clinic for a reason I transferred from my orthopedic who did my first injection. Reason I transferred is I needed pain management control plain and simple and possibly surgery. They gave me another injection which was completely fine but I told them it took 2 weeks last time for the injection to kick in. He sent me home with 15 viciden to take 1 every 6 hours for pain. 15 pills is not going to take me 2 weeks and the nurse clearly told me he only prescribed a small amount because he wanted to see if it would work first! Well I called back today this foes not work for more than 15 minutes and I don't have many left. If anything it just makes me feel loopy and tired. I spoke with the nurse who said she would talk to a doctor in office and get back to me. Well I get a call and apparently my doctor is gone until the 14th and the other dr just told her to tell me to take two viciden. I've done that and I'm still in pain and don't really like how these meds make me feel. She told me to call back again if they are not working. I dong know what to do because if I call again they will probably think I'm a drug seeker! But the nurse did tell me the doctor wanted to find out what worked and that's the reason for the small amount prescribed. Do I tell the nurse this because I am thinking this is going to look bad for me but I am frustrated the doctor was willing to give me something fit a lousy 2 weeks and not only does this med not work but now I'm taking two and will have to deal with pain even longer because I run out sooner. I have a valid medical reason for bring in pain so why are they not helping more? Had I known this I would have stuck with my orthopedic. I am do tired of hurting and being barely able to move far without pain. What should I do? Has anyone else run into these issues with pain clinics? I understand there concern with prescriptions esp narcotics but I am not a drug seeker and I have a valid reason for my pain. Do why do I feel like I'm being treAted as such?
Herniated disc diagnosis 6/2013
Bulg disc pushing on nerve at L5-S1
Steroid injection #1 was 6/2013
Steroid injection #2 was 10/1/2013

• You are a brand new patient to this pain management practice, so you are really lucky that they gave you any pain medications at all. I know that is not what you want to hear but most patients , new to a pain management practice are not given any medications, at the first visit. Injections or not, they usually demand a urine screen to check to see that you aren't taking any medications not prescribed or street drugs, and wait for that to come back before giving anyone a prescription.
    If you were given a prescription for one tablet every 6 hours, then with 15 tablets, you had enough meds to last for about 5 days. They don't assume that you are going to take them around the clock, so three tablets a day for the awake hours would have given you five days worth of meds......that should have been enough to get you to the point where the steroids started to kick in. Just because it took two weeks for the first injection does not mean that it will take that long for all subsequent injections to start working.....What other modalities are you using to help reduce the pain? Depending on narcotics to manage all of the pain is never a wise idea.....you have to learn to use whatever other modalities you can to help to lessen the pain.
    Ice, heat, tens units, over the counter, pain medications, and topical rubs and creams available in any pharmacy are all helpful, as well as the heat patches you can buy, a bag of frozen peas or corn can do wonders to ease pain as well...
    Advil or naproxen would also help to reduce the inflammation and pain. Tylenol in vicoden/norco might be the cause of the upset stomach so try eating something with it before taking it.
  • Yup,
    A cheap bag of no frills peas does the trick !!!!! LOL

I laughed when a nurse suggested peas or corn, but they are blessings

Corn hurts more, so stick with the peas

Hugs and hershey kisses to you all,
  • I get the bags of popcorn and they don't get mushy like the peas
  • mizzlaura, that is similar to my situation, i had injections, a total of 4. also they had me on gabapentin, and hydrocodone, they helped some. then finally since i was going to be on pain meds for a while they put me on nucynta at first 50mg, then 100mg, then they put me on the nucynta er 150mg 1 pill every 12 hours. been doing great since then, now all of the sudden, they said there is a solution to my problem and pain and that is surgery.they basically think that is the cure, to be cut open, but when that fails, i can try injections again, i was told. the nurse at pain mgmt, always came in and asked so where are you at with surgery, the past couple of appointments i told her i feel much better, and really dont want it, then i asked if the doctor would stop giving me meds if i didnt get it, she assured me as long as i am not coming in every time saying this is not working, that he would. basically i have been cut off, i guess, probably will feel horrible going of the nucynta and gabapentin, no tapering.
  • Sandi I had weight loss surgery so I cannot have NSAIDs ever again or oral steroids. I also prob have a stomach ulcer will be getting endoscopy oct 22nd
    Herniated disc diagnosis 6/2013
    Bulg disc pushing on nerve at L5-S1
    Steroid injection #1 was 6/2013
    Steroid injection #2 was 10/1/2013
  • to manage the pain from the injection, that I mentioned even without the use of steroids orally or NSAIDS......opiates are one small part of the puzzle. I do hope that your pain is lessening over this weekend and you are feeling better.