Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year post op

Hello to all,

On Oct. 23 It will be one year anniversary of my surgery. WOW, I can't believe it! I wish that I could report that all is well in my world, but sadly it is not. For all intent and purpose my surgery Was a success. The neurosurgeon told me going in my surgery was being done to stabilize my spine and there was a 50-50 chance pain would be reduced or eliminated.

Numbness and pain remains in my R foot, r leg, low back left thigh and both hips and butt.i have attempted PT twice since surgery but pain increases and numbness in foot increases so I do not continue. I have been seeing PM since about 3 mos post surgery. He now has me on Morphine sulfate ER 60 mg bid. I am also no in the process of getting things in place for a neuro-stim trial. Not sure how I feel about this but am moving towards it.

I would LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE who is also at this point in post op and hear how you are doing.

• One thing that helped me (and I would not have believed it) is taking a magnesium supplement. I am only almost 90 days post op from a lumbar fusion and disk decompression. No back pain really. Just horrible muscle pain to the point of almost a charlie horse in each calf. Have to take muscle relaxant throughout the day and one perc at night to sleep.

Went for last dr visit before release to work and PA suggested supplement. I have not taken a muscle pill since then except for at night. I am not a big believer in supplements, but this has been a VERY welcome relief to a problem that almost had me in tears most times.
  • hi Trish.. one year.. and still numb?? what kind of surgery did you have? i am having- have had ... omg, so many issues post op l5/s1 also with Pain management, still taking muscle relaxers and percoset at night in order to sleep.. the numb issues / and what i call my lead foot.. are the worst.. pins needles, shooting pain, etc. i am though... not convinced about the stim... i read too much, talk to too many people... and don't want to scare you but get a few opinions... my new neurosurgeon was talking to me about it and i didn't like the side effects or the idea of having MORE stuff put INTO my body.. trial, permanent or not... it amazes me that all of what i have gone through - will be 6 months on November 1 is 50/50 a quasi success.? no. my back does not hurt. my right leg nerve pain is gone. but i am left with a cane, and a limp on my left side that might, or might not... go away.. :-( not a happy person, but smiled at your post pic. thank you for that reminder... :-) information is kind of scary.. i loved the 3rd PT persons i found, it took all that, and a lot of wasted time.. working through the pain helped a lot. find the right PT... first. i do take magnesium.. and b 6 and b12. and calcium and strontium... trying... all i can. let me know more of your story.
  • melissapmmelissap Posts: 11
    edited 12/11/2013 - 6:18 PM
    I am now 14 months post op from a L5 S1 fusion and laminectomy. I feel really good and I think my back has completely healed. I am very aware still that I had surgery. It has taken the full year to recover. I do not bend anymore or lift anything heavy. I avoid twisting and am very careful how I sleep. I can feel the hardware in my lower back which is a constant reminder to be careful! My leg pain disappeared however I do think my right leg is somewhat weaker than my left. The best part is that I can walk as far as I want without having to stop and sit. I have arthritis in my lower back and occasionally have muscle aches where I had the surgery. My doctor prescribed tramadol and skelaxin to take as needed.

Trish-I pray you find relief and the doctors are able to fix your pain. I remember you from last year...you were so encouraging to everyone having surgeries. Best of luck!
  • I'm almost one year and I'm in that same "successful but..." boat with surgery. I had spondylolysthesis (slipped vertebra) plus other stuff, and I can say that the fusion is keeping everything stable (which is good), but I'm still really restricted, have trouble walking, can't sleep consistently, still on narcotics. It's rough and I don't know what the answer is. I've heard some folks say that it can take up to 18 months, so I'm really hoping that things get better!
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 12/22/2013 - 1:05 PM
    The fusions I had I can say were a success. I haven't had any kind of narcotic medication since Thanksgiving of last year. I thought I was doing great. Then my legs started hurting again and I have SI joint dysfuction. My PCP prescribed some pain medication. I am kinda depressed about having to take it again. I am going to physical therapy for my SI joints. I started having muscle spasms again. I had a really bad staph infection after my first fusion that greatly affected my legs. They have not fully recovered from that. I cannot cross my legs without having to physically move my leg. I have already tried injections in my SI joints and they didn't work. So, I guess if PT doesn't work, I will end up getting them fused too. I have my review for my SSDI in July. They say I am supposed to be improved enough to go back to work, but I don't see that happening. Hopefully, next year will be a year of healing for all of us spineys.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.