Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mri results and follow up

Well last time I was on here, was waiting for mri results, well got them and off to pain management. First thing out of drs mouth, that he recommended surgery, and after seeing my mri results, I agreed.....but the big problem is I have to work, and asked him if I could put it off until the first of the year, he said probably but no longer and scheduled me for a block which I had yesterday, was a breeze in spite of my fear of needles, went fast and here I am home, second day after block, and I am feeling not great but most of the bad pain has gone. just the original pain in the lower part of my left leg above ankle, and under a little twing of the right buttock, wont be getting off my cane or my pain meds for awhile I guess but if by Monday if things are not 100 % I go back next week to talk to the surgeon and have second block, just have to be careful of what I do, twisting and making sure I don't fall....I am resigned to surgery and if can work out my money plan, still have to pay bills, I will have it sooner, if the nerve block does this well, well think what surgery can do. For those out there, don't be afraid of having a procedure, its not bad, and I had the best of care. I am actually looking forward to surgery, sounds funny but I am. want to be back to my former life and I like my pain management dr, and I am sure the surgeon will be great too, his reviews are great, and I guess my problem is not as great as some others, so I am lucky, to get it this early, and maybe get if fixed. Just have to follow my drs orders and things will be ok. Hope some of the others on here have a good review of whats happening to them, and my thought is, just trust in your drs, and do what they say, might be inconvenient but a lot of things are, also say a lot of prayers for yourself and others who are involved, hope you all have a good family backup also, I do
Sheila Coughtry

• Glad that you found the answers , and now have a game plan. Do you get short term disability or possibly what about a aflack policy? Is your injury due to your job? I can't remember now from your previous posts?
    Glad that the block helped to relieve the pain you are having, and that the surgery turns out really well for you so that you can get back to the land of the living sooner, rather than later. Did the doctor suggest what type of surgery they will recommend?
  • I am back to work, pain is back also, not as bad but I guess I misunderstood how steroids work, am keeping a pain diary and hoping I will wake up with no pain one of these days. Pain seems to be moving around, back of legs, down to ankles, back to hips, right now my right leg is hurting in the side of the thigh, is this the way steroids work?
    I am afraid that if I schedule surgery, I will lose my job, have explained to them that I wont be in the hospital long, and the only problem I will have is driving,but my daughter can drop me off and pick me up. We shall see, I want to get this over, and have maybe pain free days and get back to doing stuff. Not job related, just a stupid accident with a rainy day and some little guy putting down a mat that shouldn't have been there, one foot on and I knew I was going, hit the left side really hard, and whole leg swelled up and I could not walk, dr didn't order any xrays of anything except the left knee, wrong dr, stayed too long with her, one other minor fall, and here I am, trying to stay positive but losing it. Yes the pain block went good in terms of everything was as it should be, but I guess with my stenosis, I am wasting my time, dr is right should have surgery soon but wanted to try to see if this would work for a time, so he let me. I see the surgeon next Tuesday, I am betting he doesn't want me to try another block, but we shall see,,,,sorry for rambling aliong so much, but its helping me to share with someone, don't want anyone to share my pain,but wish I could push some of it off somewhere
    Sheila Coughtry
  • Hi Holly,
    Where do you work? Would being out over the holiday season help (More time off)? Or...is this your buisiest season? There is never a "good" time for surgery, but once you figure out the "best" time for you, discuss it with your surgeon. I'm a teacher and I just knew I couldn't have major surgery during the school year... my surgeon worked with me, (medication, injections, etc) to get me to the summer. I had the same thing when I need some hard ware revision. My surgeon said I couldn't wait till summer but could make it to Spring Break so that is what we did. Best of luck to you. Hopefully everything will work out.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • holly1939hholly1939 Posts: 24
    edited 10/17/2013 - 2:55 PM
    Well my putting off surgery was a good dream, pain block lasted a whole two days. Met my surgeon on Tuesday, operation is on October 30. will end up with 2 plates and 4 screws, I am becoming a bionic person. as I have a total knee on the right side. I asked him , first can you fix me, he said yes, but not in 2014, where it might be convenient for me, workwise, bodywise no. If I twist just right or fall I could maybe look at wheelchair for the rest of my life. I knew this was true but hoping, pain is bad and has increased since nerve block, so I said ok, lets do it, so I have all papers signed, only thing I don't know is what kind of anesthetic they will use, cant be an epidural as this is a back surgery, will be out for three or four hours, wont worry about it, dr is doing what is best for me. will be in the hospital for 2 days maybe 3, and then home, or daughters home I guess, no climbing steps but will be doing plenty of walking, that's what he believes in, so guess I will be walking. I am sure this sounds so simple just hope it is, and I want to be better so I believe I will be, will let you know how and why and what after the 30th. So will be recovering around the holidays, maybe back to work in three weeks, depends on how it looks when stitches are taken out, and he says I will be off pain meds in 3 weeks, so I hope this is true. Anyway off here ,got dishes to do, and get ready for work tomorrow, and TGIF and this Friday I really mean it
    Sheila Coughtry
  • Found out today I probably wont be fired from my job if I have surgery,she did say I should have told her right away, I did, the day after surgery was confirmed. Did not really know I would have it so waited until dr told me I had to have it, I hoped to wait until the holidays, but this was the first opportunity and then a few months, did not want to wait anymore than I have to, pain is so bad at times, seems to slip up on me and I find waiting until it is time to take pills sometimes over an hour, or should I say its calling me before time, but I stay busy until the six hours are up, and it works sometimes. don't want to take more than I should every six hours
    Surgery is a week from this coming wed, getting kind of anxious I guess, I hate waiting for anything, go this wed for the physical and fitting for the brace I will need after surgery, guess the time will be here before I am ready, but I will be ok, I have confidence in my dr and in my family, I will be ok, and if you all will, send a few friendly prayers my way, will be needing them
    Sheila Coughtry