Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

disability claims

not to irritate anyone but this article might, but check it out on cbs web site where a senator tom cobrum from oklahoma stated that his research showed that 50% of disability claims are fraudulent where 20% are downright fraud and 25% are very questionable. He blames this on the disability lawyers. so take it or leave it but don't shoot the messenger. it shows one the perception of patients trying to get disability and what the public's perception is for people especially ones with back pain. it is an interesting read.
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• i personaly know of 3 people that were on it, or are still on it, that were all fraud, one was an uncle of mine, other my wife's step father, another was a person i used to work with. nothing truly wrong with any of them. big thing on 60 minutes last night. the funds for disability will be exhausted in 2 to 3 years, they predict. does not mean there will be no more at all but a reduction of 25%.
  • the article was 60minutesovertime.com. i think it is terrible the scammers get away with it, but some people that need it cannot get it.
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 10/07/2013 - 2:29 PM
    Lawyers an the doctors were making false claims an the medical records were fabricated etc. They said that was only one attorney. Said he got 16 million $ on all those ppl.
  • Working in a doctors office for 7 years I would see so many come in on Medicare and disability who had never had one back surgery but only back pain. Would come in wearing gold chains and rings and hop up on table with a pain level of maybe 1 or 2 . I would have to bite my tongue. I have missed 4 yrs of work over past 12 yrs. Just from recuperation from surgeries. I have had 13 with 11 being orthopedic and 4 of those back. I am needing a 3 level fusion and ulnar nerve compression release surgeries on both elbows but will not until I am approved for disability. My youngesy brother of 45 has been on disability for 7 yrs for blood dosorder that causes clots and psoriatic arthritis who was approved his first try. WHY!!!!! Because he never finished high school and uneducated people are chosin over college educated people and this came directly from Social Security office in NC.

I would rather be able to go back to the job I loved and worked hard for but not gonna happen. My family stuggles to make it on one paycheck but we make do. I dont understand how people can cheat the system knowing they are taking out of the mouths of children who need it....I hope it comes back to them one day!!!!!!!!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/07/2013 - 5:47 PM
    I have bilateral ulnar neuropathy too and so far have not gone ahead with the surgery to fix it ......for many reasons. I also have osteonecrosis in my left wrist, and was supposed to have a fusion done but don't want to loose the flexibility in my wrist so have put that off as well.
    If you are waiting for approval from SSDI, it might help to make sure that the reports written by the doctors very clearly state that you are unsuitable for any work because if they don't, then the ruling is usually a turn down.
  • all of this stuff is making it easier for the powers to be to get rid of narcotics and to make it harder to get ssi or ltd. also i don't want my taxes to pay for crooks. why would anyone want to subsidize people who are cheating. i am going to retire in the spring and my money will be less. i don't want to spend any more of my money for crooks, wether they be patients or lawyers.. i don't care if it is or is not only one lawyer, it only takes one to make things worse. my pain doctor and pharamacist are warning me about it will be harder to get pain meds or worse pain meds that are compounded. the powers to be are looking for any excuse to make things harder. if you don't get pain meds and don't care, think about the fact that in the future you may need them. i resent any person who cheats wether it is a small or large amount or if it is only one or thousands of people or lawyers. we are a nation of laws and we will not be a nation if we don't obey the laws. if one doesn't like the laws then one can vote or write you congressman. it is going to get worse say my dr
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 10/07/2013 - 6:33 PM
    There was a "friendly" judge involved.

I wonder how all the people passed examination by disability doctors....
  • arron
    from what i heard, most doctors want people off both asap. they want people back to work. the paperwork is like that to make people not want to do it so they won't have to put one on disability. i think most drs will keep someone on disability for around 3 months more or less.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 10/08/2013 - 2:56 AM
    What goes around comes around.
    Fraudulent people get caught in the end...... Dont worry, their day is coming
    IF NOT ON EARTH, THEN ETERNAL! Get what i mean?
  • paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 10/08/2013 - 3:43 AM
    That personally drives me crazy too. I can't stand fakers. I know of a 27 year old able bodied man who works under the table doing lawn care and things like that, but gets social security for "mental issues". But have no fear, in due time he will get caught. (I plan to make sure that happens)

On the other hand, it also bothers me that people who do need it, have a hard time getting it. And there are also people who claim they need it, may in fact need it, but can't get it because its too hard to tell if they really do need it.

The education issue is bothersome as well. I have a BS and an MA. So if i were to ever apply, someone who never graduated high school won't be forced to work at a gas station, but I will because I'm educated? That's very biased. However, as long as I can get to work, I'm going to work, even if I have to use a wheel chair, I'm a total workaholic, but that's just me, I'd go insane at home. On the other hand, I haven't had any major surgeries yet so I may change my tune if/when I do. But for those that truly can't work, nothing to feel bad about, and to those scammer's, well inappropriate language isn't allowed so i will bite my tongue on that one.
  • I don't believe so, at least not with the monthly call ins, etc, but it is harder to get approved for since to qualify for SSDI, you have to have at least 5 years of work credits , and the documentation must state that you are unable to work at any job, not just the one you have currently. Certain conditions will be approved more easily or faster than others, but if you have a doctor who is wiling to document that you are unsuited to work at all, and there are some out there, especially when someone is using a disability lawyer ( NOT saying that all disability attorneys are unethical) have ties to certain physicians that they have referred their claimants to, to support claims.

What does occur is that the SSDI claimant comes up for review every couple of years, depending on the reason for their 'disability'....if you aren't being treated in an ongoing basis for that condition, and you don't have on going documentation, then you may find that your disability is not continued. And if they can show that you aren't really disabled, you can be made to pay back those funds, and other penalties.
    They do have some back to work incentives, and job training re-training opportunities for those who want to try to return to work , and there are large numbers of people who have gone into those programs trying to get back into the workforce.
  • Anelson, I was only speaking of this one particular person.The person I was referring to is a lying POS. He even brags about working 15 hour days (all under the table of course).

My other half hasn't been able to work outside of the home in over 12 years. He is severely bi-polar, extreme anxiety, agoraphobic, severe panic attacks, you name it. He attempted to keep working, when finally I told him to just relax and be a house husband (for lack of a better word). He's not on disability though, he couldn't even handle the application process. Trust me, I know how devastating mental problems can be, for both the sufferer AND the caregiver.
  • kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 10/08/2013 - 3:28 PM
    I will be sure to get copies of notes and see what they say. I have been trying to get notes from Duke On my thoracic surgery from MaY, 2012 and they will NOT send them to me but SSDI has those notes...hmmmmm.
    My 3 brothers all went for disability doctor evaluation but for some reason they decided to use my anxiety and depression which is a small amount compared to orthopedic problems to send me to a Psychiatrist. Then when they denied for second time this was reason....they felt that phychiatric issues were not a problem and I could function at a somewhat normal level. Did not mention one word about physical problems. I was livid. This one man spent 45 minutes with me and dcided over all 17 of my providers that I was fine to return to work.

Sandi, I can understand the not wanting to procede with wrist and elbow surgeries. I had a lateral epicondolectomy (sp) 8 yrs ago. They shortened the tendon and ground the bone down and it still gives me problems and was a VERY painful surgery. Yes I can only write, type for short periods because of numbness. I sleep with braces on both elbows when I can stand it. They go from wrist to bicep and wont let me bend more than 30 degree angle. So have problems sitting, standing, walking, typing, writing, dialing phone...not sure what else they could train me to do.

Rose, I know exactly what you are saying. Once had a coworker who had 3 small children and husband worked under table as plumber and made very good money and she bragged about getting 8000 back on tax return. I was devestated because we had to pay that yr. Until she blew it all on a car and engine blew up 2 weeks later....karma baby

I would love to be able to go back to job I trained hard for, nursing, but small office I worked at sold out to large hospital and they are replacing with their employees. When employers take a look at mt resume with all the empty blocks and find out about back issues they drop me like a hot potato. I am tired, I hurt all the time and just want to live my life without struggling.

Sorry this was so long but thanks to all who read and responded to other posts. Thanks for being there Sandi and Rose :)

• I spent years as a welfare fraud investigator and I put people in jail for "theft by deception" which often involved money payments, food stamps and medicaid. It amazed me how few investigators there were for the hundreds of thousands of cases. I spent my career skimming the worst cases off the top and prosecuting them.

On the other hand, some people were so honest that they would come in and turn in their food stamps because they had some left over that month. (Invariably older people who were ashamed to need help)

Later, I felt that my soul needed some cleansing so I went to work in a homeless shelter. I met so many good, decent people who just fell on hard times. So many people with mental illnesses who had no way to get medical treatment. Good mental health care is almost nonexistent in our community.

I have several degrees but I live in an area where the unemployment rate is very high. I lost my job in the "great recession" and found that at 59, I was not going to get hired again. I went to work at a grocery store making minimum wage but I had to leave because of my back problems and arthritis. Lucky for me I have a husband who still works. Otherwise, I would be homeless just like my former clients.

Which brings me to my main point. Stories about our economic recovery are greatly exaggerated. Here in the rust belt the old jobs aren't coming back and the new jobs being created do not support families (trust me on that one). Should people who live here get disability because they can't do the minimum wage-paying physically demanding work which is all there is? What if they have college degrees but there are no good paying jobs to be had? What if they are old and will never be able to do physical work again? These questions are a lot trickier in this economy.

• My wife has been on disability for 10 years now. She suffers from a rare progressive neurological disease that has left her in a wheelchair. She was a medical transcriptionist and even had a thriving business in the mid 90's. This disease has taken away her ability to walk, type(not even her name), speak coherently, and on and on. My point is when we filed for her disability, she was automatically treated as a "faker". We had a mountain of paperwork from her doctors and that wasn't enough. She still had to be examined by a psychologist and given a battery of mental tests. All of this was demeaning and stressful for both my wife and myself but I guess it had to be done due to the many fakers who try to beat the system. After 3 months, she got placed on disability.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.