Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure what to do now

For 15 months now I have suffered the effects of a herniated disc, L4/5. I have had 2 caudal epidurals, one in January and one in February. My symptoms have improved dramatically over the last few months. I have never had any back ache, my pain has all been in my right hip and leg along with tingling. I now get severe aching in one or both legs along with tingling in both legs and feet. The tingling is pretty much constant when I am sitting down and the aching occurs most days, usually in the evening. I have been doing core muscle exercises daily for the last couple of months. I have seen my consultant this evening and he has suggested now doing another epidural along with an injection into the facet joints, then an intensive core muscle exercise programme to follow 2 to 3 times daily. I'm not sure what to do. I feel as though my consultant is clutching at straws now, he admits my case is a difficult one due to my symptoms fluctuating so wildly and not being severe enough for surgery. Sometimes I feel as if this is it now, I will not get any better than I am and will just have to put up with it. I'm not convinced the injections will help me but at the same time do not know what else to try. I know it's not possible but would just like someone to be able to tell me what I need to do to get back to how I was before all this started.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/07/2013 - 6:19 PM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

Surgery is usually only done in two circumstances, one is when there is a structural issue, such as a herniation or misalignment in the spine, and the second is when there is compression of the spinal nerves, either where they exit between the vertebre or in the spinal canal itself.....surgery is not done for pain relief, since that seldom turns out well...
    The injections are done to ease the inflammation and soothe the area where the injections are done and that in turn provides some relief of the pain and inflammation. Sometimes, they work and sometimes not so much.
    Many herniations , depending on how big they are, and whether they are in contact with a nerve , resolve on their own over some times, and the pain levels ease considerably. The problem with the tingling sensations might indicate that there may be some nerve contact. Have you discussed this new problem with the surgeon?
    It might be worthwhile to ask about another MRI to see where things stand now, since you have been undergoing treatment for 15 months, to see how things look. That would give you both an answer as to whether or not there is nerve involvement and might change the course of treatment.
    The problem is that once the spine is injured, there really isn't any way to get it back to the way it was before the injury, but we can do excercises and change the way we did things, to help minimize any further damage.