Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After laminectomy (micro-dicectomy); Increased PAIN in Buttlocks

azam329aazam329 Posts: 9
edited 10/15/2013 - 2:00 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had been suffering from sciatica for about 2 years now. it all started when i completed my graduation (i don't know how, but there could be plenty of factors such as inactivity, bad posture, weight lifting). long story short, i had pain in my buttlocks but intensity of it was not coming in as a hurdle in my daily life activities. i could manage the pain effectively without the need for any medicine. so, recently in august,2013 i became curious that i want to know why m i experiencing this unwanted pain in my buttocks area only while walking or standing for some time.

I went up to physicians, neurosurgeons, they asked for me to get an EMG, X-RAY & MRI. first two showed normal results but the MRI pointed out the root of my issue. i had L4-L5 DISC Herniation..i was scared but meantime was advised to go for a micro-discectomy ASAP or my problem could go worst.

Just now, on 1st of october 2013, i went for the surgery (Laminectomy). and got admitted to 3 more days for care. now, i am home and feeling good. i was just curious that how a person feels after spine surgery. one week from the surgery and pain from scar tissue is gone. but there is one issue which needs to be addressed. now, after the surgery i feel very strong shooting pain in left leg when i tend to stand for more than 5 mins, and now for the first time ever, i am experiencing same shooting pain when i sit while eating or in washroom (i never experienced it before the surgery).

Other than this, I had experienced NO BACK PAIN prior to or after the surgery.
I have a 9-5 desk job, i dont know how much time It would need to recover, so meanwhile, i had taken medical leaves till 22 oct,2013.

Any ideas if all this is normal? are things going in right direction?

• I never had back pain per say, but all the pain I had was projected from the disc. I didn't know it was disc until it ruptured and things got really bad.

I think you have a lot of questions buried in there. Bottom line, we are all different. The pain is from pressure on a nerve. Constant pressure can cause some damage on the nerve and that can take a long time to heal. You likely modified the way you walked and that may be exposing itself (or maybe not).

I have found in my recovery (5.5 months now), the scar tissue took a while to heal. For me, muscles were cut, and unless you are a pro-athlete with their mysterious remedies, a muscle can take 6-8 weeks to heal. Then you need to rebuild it.

I get hip and leg pain that can be remedied with stretching and treatment. That tells me there are tight muscles pulling on stressed nerves. I've learned that muscles all connect and play off each other. Out of balance can cause pain in areas you don't expect.

My point is that you might be having pain common with back problems, but that might not be it. Take time to let things heal. It is a long road.
    L5-S1 herniation (10mm), April 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy May 1st 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy April 18th 2016