Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone

Hello All,

I have been lurking here on and off for some time..finally decided to come aboard! I am a young 51 yr old that has been dealing with chronic back pain for most of my adult life. While in college, after suffering very strange symptoms, I was diagnosed with auto-immune condition Sjogrens Syndrome. When I began experiencing low back pain in my late 20's my then primary Dr took X-rays , told me they were negative " so there is nothing wrong with your back". And basically told me to suck it up....which I did. I always assumed all my aches and pains were a symptom of my Sjogren's.

In my 40's my pain and stiffness had increased significantly despite staying active and fit. I went back to a rheumatologist, who diagnosed Fibromyalgia along with the Sjogrens ...I had trigger point injections and PT around that time. I basically resigned myself to the fact that I had to live like this....until 2 yrs ago

2 years ago my low back pain had progressed significantly to the point where it was really effecting my quality of life. I began PT again and also chiropractic care....until I woke up Nov 2011 and couldn't move due to the excruciating sciatic pain in my leg...literally unbearable. My Dr sent me to a pain management center for a consult..nurse couldn't believe my BP was 169/105...all due to pain...consult became a procedure...Dr decided a facet joint injection was warranted rather than epidural, as I had a history of osteoarthritis. Did the injection and sent me home...I was in such a state I didn't think to ask for any pain meds. Well after suffering through the weekend, barely able to move to make it to the bathroom and waiting for the injection to kick in..I called his office to request meds. You would think I had asked for a lifetime supply of morphine....after several calls with the nurse she said he agreed to prescribe me enough Vicodin until the steroid kicked in. Dear hubby picked up the script for me....I opened it up to find 12 pills...seriously?? Needless to say the injection did not work, so after 7 days I called back and was scheduled for a follow up appointment...at which time I would get an epidural. In the mean time I called my primary Dr, explained the situation and she was kind enough to prescribe me pain meds to hold me over.

Hubby brings me in for my follow up..I had been counting the days, hours, minutes to get relief...Dr tells me that he guesses we should have done an epidural not facet but. " unfortunately we can't do it today because it has to be 6 wks from your last injection, so come back in 2 weeks". What????? I was beyond stunned, beside myself with pain and left in tears.

Sorry this is so long...guess I needed to vent! Anyway after that I got the name of another Dr that had helped a friend. Had to wait several weeks, but my primary understood and helped with pain meds. This Dr examined, started to order an MRI, but rather than have to suffer while we waited for insurance authorization..he picked up the phone, called down to radiology and told them he had a patient in extreme pain and needed an epidural today. Within 1.5 hrs I got my injection.

The epidural worked great and I was able to resume most of my normal activities....I still had back pain, but the debilitating sciatic pain was down to a 1 or 2. Each time it would start to creep back up I went for another injection.
Fast forward to August 2013... Went for epidural and mentioned I had been having hip and groin pain which was recent development...did the injection along with a facet joint injection in hope that would help the hip. Hip continued to get worse, now radiating to thigh...Dr ordered lumbar MRI ...first one since all this began 2 yrs ago....and the results are basically annular tear at L3/4 with spondylolithesis, herniation and tear at L4/L5 with nerve compression and spondylolithesis and herniation at L5/S1 with nerve root compression. Those are just the highlights lol....
Dr says I can try a nerve root block or see a surgeon.
I don't know what to do?? My PT friend thinks surgeon will recommend fusion because of the spondy at 2 levels.

I've been reading as much as I can but still torn over my next step. All I know is I am tired of dealing with feeling like this all the time. Hoping I can get some answers, advice and support here.

If you made it to the end of this long winded post..THANK YOU!

Peace and Gentle Hugs,
Ann
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Sorry for all your pain. You could see the surgeon and see what his opinion is, mention that a nerve root block was discussed and see if he thinks it may be helpful. They may say it is worth a try. But he could say it would be that helpful or only temporary. I think more input may help you decide, good luck.
  • I'm also sorry to hear of another person in pain like this. If you do consider surgery, take your time and get multiple opinions until they start comparing. As you can see, I have had pretty awful thoracic fusion surgery and I am still having problems. I have seen three surgeons recently and they all had different opinions. So I am still looking. Good luck to you.