Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Results??

I'm 12 weeks post op from a L4/L5 PLIF, and I am finally feeling positive about the surgery. My doc kept telling me I would feel "normal" in 3 months, but I just couldn't see that happening, after the problems I had in the past couple months. I go back to him Nov. 21st, and he said we would talk about the "bending and twisting" then, and where I go from here.

My normal day starts out around 6am and I'm pain free. I'm taking care of the house while I'm home and my wife is working. No issues there. Mid day, I occasionally venture out onto the farm and climb on the tractor and brush hog, with the doctors blessings, of course. His instructions are, "if it hurts, don't do it", and "lift all you want to, if it doesn't hurt", but DON'T BEND OR TWIST. I only have pain, when I do something that I know I shouldn't be doing, or if I make an abrupt move unexpectedly. The leg pain I've experienced for several years is gone now. No numbness or tingling either. My strength is SLOWLY coming back. I'm a construction worker, so I'm used to hard work.

Now the embarrassing part. I'm not sure what all the surgery can/should affect. I've been treated for the past several years for prostate issues, which most have seemed to be gone since surgery. I had a biopsy just before my back surgery that came back negative. I have symptoms of BPH and other sexual issues associated with the prostate. My BPH issues are pretty much non existent now, and as for the sexual issues, I feel like I'm at least 15 years younger. (I'm 51 now) I have had a few fears though, when I've had erections that have lasted 45 minutes or more. Can't explain any of it, but the only change has been with the disc fusion. Has anyone else had similar experiences after surgery?? I'm definitely not complaining, but I still have to question it. I go back to my urologist next month, and I'm anxious to see if my PSA has gone down as well.

Can the back surgery control issues with the prostate??

• CamIamCCamIam Posts: 86
    edited 10/13/2013 - 6:45 PM
    MarkWV said:

Can the back surgery control issues with the prostate??
    Based on my own experience, I would say it is more likely that your surgery has relieved some pressure on your spinal nerves. I had a fusion to L4-5 in June, and prior to that was starting to have incontinence problems. This was because the nerves that were being affected control that part of the body. A more serious problem related to this type of nerve injury/irritation is equina cauda syndrome. I didn't have anything that serious, but it was still a little scary. I am not a Dr or medical professional, but as I said, it sounds more like some nerves may have been freed up by the surgery.

48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 10/15/2013 - 9:19 PM
    I had numerous problems, some of them for years, which gradually disappeared after surgery. I think this is evidence of how long my spine had been damaged even before I was ever aware of it.

Funny things nerves. When they get trapped (especially if it is the cord itself) they send and receive all sorts of wrong messages from the brain.

At the time of my surgery I couldn't walk, had numbness everywhere, pains everywhere, foot drop, my left hamstring was knotted up and painful to the touch, incontinence and no sexual function whatsoever. As I recovered (over years, I might add) weird and wonderful sensations ( not always pleasant), occurred, sometimes quite suddenly and function gradually returned as nerves became free or regenerated.

It was all very strange.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde