Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

14 Weeks post op L5 S1 noticed some changes

youngatheartyyoungatheart Posts: 42
edited 10/14/2013 - 2:39 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am around 14 or 15 weeks post op. All my x-rays when I see my doc are good, no bone growth yet that is noticeable.

I was doing great, felt good, still wore my brace whenever I was in the car or out shopping just so I have a reminder not to bend or twist too much.

About 2 days ago I noticed the I was getting a strange feeling on my right side, which never bothered me before. My sciatica would have flare ups but that was on the left. Anyway, I've been getting a feel in my low back but more to the right and it feels like I would feel when I needed a chiropractic adjustment. It also feels like it goes from that butt cheek around towards the front and front of my thigh. I don't know if it might be just from using my legs more since I try not to bend. If I do bend, I scoot down with the knees so as not to bend my body.

I'm also reminded with this pain or ache that its similar to when I had 3 herniated discs but this isn't as bad. I took a muscle relaxer tonight and may take another in a few hours. Hopefully this will help.

Have any of you had similar symptoms? I cannot believe that I was doing exceptionally great, this entire time until now but it feels a little better after I lay down and rest.

• My first injury was from a fall and injured my l4/L5 that occurred at work after my initial injury I did the basics of massage acupuncture physical therapy and I had three epidurals in my lower back and my cervical C-3 C-4 from the neck injury as well came the symptoms bad sciatic from my left butt cheek to my left ankle. The numbness and tingling were outta control as well i swallowed Motrin like candy with no relief. I finally decided to have the micro dissectomy laminectomy with stem cell fusion of the L4 L5 after the surgery was completed the recovery. Was very up-and-down had good days and bad days more bad than good. week six I had a very bad pain in my lower back when I woke up that I hadn't had before I almost felt like my back is going to go out and it concerns me since I never had that problem before my surgery I want to see my doctor and he did an x-ray and said that there was possibly some swelling in the area which was common so he gave me a steroid pack of Medrol for five days to see if that would help with the swelling so I left his office on Monday finish the pack and on Friday I had called the office and explain to them that my pain was so excruciating that something was wrong and I was getting stabbing pains in the side of my leg and I couldn't move my leg so they told me to continue to take the steroids because these pains were probably from swelling. I told them no this is not swelling pain that I have not had either before surgery or even post surgery of six weeks. I waited the next day and in the evening hours the pain got so bad that I couldn't walk i knew something was wrong so I was taken to the emergency room and at the hospital and stayed in the hospital for three days until they could figure out what was wrong and it was in fact a herniation of my L5 S1 so I was taken to another hospital in the next day to have emergency surgery of my L5 S1 and I was told during the surgery that the disc basically collapsed and a piece of bone had shattered and gone into my leg space area which was causing the leg pain. The dr tried to save as much is my disc as possible . I felt better after my second surgery even better than after my first surgery I had no leg pain I had a little bit of tingling in my foot but I've had that since January of last year, I didn't expect that to go away and I had no sciatic or stabbing pain whatsoever . Here i am six weeks post op with the same issues again , yesterday I woke up with very bad low back pain and a very bad sciatic pain with numbness and tingling in my leg the best way to describe the pain in my leg is if anyone has ever gone skiing or ice-skating ring when your shoe gets cold and it freezes your foot to the point where it's frozen and it has that pain as your foot is thawing out... It is lime that but it is excruciating painful and I can't do anything to ease my while leg. even with the medication . my doctor doesn't want to do an MRI of my lower back he says it's too soon although I'm having the same symptoms I had before we herniated on my for my first surgery and I'm going to be going to another doctor to get a second opinion and hope that I have a MrI, but it sure feels like it and get guess people have to be consistent in a fight for their doctors to listen to the explain of pain and help me.... I know something is wrong in there. Dr's are amazing people but please take the time to take it seriously!!!! Appt is tue with new dr wish me luck and i pray for everyone else going through this!!!
  • For thr pain. You will find a lot of helpful information on this site. I had a C3 to C7 PCDF on June 25th and I also need the /S1 and was told that the percentage was 80 percent of taking since can happen again.. I'm going for 2nd shot and I think I maY have to live with pain. I can not imagine the pain you are experiencing . What state do you live in and did you go for many of opinions ?