Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are some of your biggest fears?

I think anyone having spinal problems for a while and knowing that the solution is surgery has to be scared. I like to break that fear down into three phases.

I Prior to Surgery
Here you have been dealing with the pain and discomfort for who knows for how long. You are living day to day in this discomfort, you are afraid that NOTHING is going to make you feel better

II Surgery
Right up to the night before surgery, your mind could be going in a million different directions. WHAT IF the doctor makes a mistake, WHAT IF I dont wakeup after surgery, WHAT IF, my problems are worse after surgery? These are the type of things that can drive a sane person go crazy. No one has the answers to those questions.

III Post Surgery
Now, the they were suppose to take care of all of my problems, will I be able to continue to do the things I did before? Can I still work? Will I still be able to earn money for my family? How will it be with my friends and family?

All of these situations are so very real. They happen, they occur and then the future is there. But in your eyes, what was your biggest fear? What was it that kept you up at night?

We are not going to eradicate any demons, but its always good to share our fears with others. That may result in calming our fears, and even better, could we help some one else that is about to go through it all!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 10/15/2013 - 3:04 PM
    To have fusion of L5 S1. #2 describes me perfect!!

One the docs suggested anything done to my neck may nit b successful....not sure where that leaves me.

I try not think about it. It overwhelms me.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey ronnie,
    I remember my first spinal surgery, lots of things went thru my head, didn't sleep a lot before "game day." After that surgery, maybe more so after the second go-round, lets just say I don't get frazzled anymore. It is what it is and what happens happens, I'll deal with it whatever it takes. I feared the unknown, want to be in control, but most of it I cannot control.
    I still don't sleep before most medical procedures, instead I divert my attention to staying busy, trying to tire myself out so I am more relaxed before the procedure.

I have great confidence in my medical team, they will do their best at what they do. I will make the best of whatever my results are no matter what happens. If by some odd reason I don't make it thru the procedure due to some unknown reason there should be no regrets. I've had a great life, many never have the opportunities I have had, I am very lucky in so many ways.

But my biggest fear is for my family & friends. I don't want them to worry about me or cause them any extra stress.
  • Of more pain after surgery, not the normal post op pain. Just the thought of them messing up another nerve or muscle in my back/neck. It hasn't happened to me, most of my surgeries have had permanent benefits, so I don't know why I am afraid. I know from working in the ICU that the odds are in my favor. We would occasion have hip replacements in the 85yo + that needed extra medical attention.
    I always joke if I don't wake up after surgery, I won't know the difference. Biggest fear = living in constant pain with no quality of life
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 10/15/2013 - 5:22 PM
    Fear is such a STRONG word like hate for example.
    I would rather the word "concern"

My concern is that my numbness in my foot drop foot will never go away and i will have a bad fall someday and mess up my back and both total hip replacements.

But God will carry me through

• susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 10/15/2013 - 5:24 PM
    I have to agree being in worse pain prior to surgery was what scared me. Although I was I such agonizing pain prior to my posterior surgery in August, I was so relaxed when the surgeon came into see me and to ask me which side of my hip did I prefer my bone graft from. Interesting enough my surgeon used the back of my hip. I have very little pain from the sight. I put complete trust into my new surgeon and it paid off big time. I will Not go anywhere else if I need another surgery down the way. After surgery I was well taken care of thanks to my Sister and Brother in law & the Great Up Northern Wisconsin fresh air. Good luck to all with up coming surgeries I know many having surgery soon!!!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 10/15/2013 - 5:43 PM
    When it comes to my spine:Same fear pre surgery, recovery, etc. = paralyzed
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I remember thinking "well this is it. I have made my decision to go ahead with surgery and I'm not going to question that again. Decision made, that's it . What will be will be."

I then focused all my thoughts on preparing myself for the surgery, sorting out any paperwork etc. and thinking about anything I should sort out for after surgery and going home etc.

Easier said than done, but definitely the right approach.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • I think my biggest fear is that the surgery wont work or I will be in more pain after surgery. I know that the surgery will bring different pain, but I'm afraid that my daily pain level will be worse. I'm also afraid of not being able to go back to work when I need to. I'm single and my parents are 300 miles away. If I can't be back to work 12 weeks post op, I will lose my job and I don't know what I will do. My short and long term disability only pay a fraction of my already low salary. I've also worked really hard and am a rising star with my company. If I'm out too long with surgery or if I lose my job, it will stall my career. I keep trying to tell myself that everything happens for a reason, and God has a wonderful plan for me and that he wont let anything happen to me that I can't handle, but I'm human and I'm scared of things that I can't control.

On a good note, I have some great friends and they wont let me go homeless or hungry.
    PILF of L5 S1 on October 29, 2013. Psoriatic arthritis, spondylolisthesis L5 and fractured L5 and DDD