Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 1/2 weeks since fusion

ADRJenAADRJen Posts: 211
edited 10/15/2013 - 8:16 AM in Recovering from Surgery
And at times I'm almost pain free when lying down. But, when I'm standing for more than a couple of minutes I get that crushing pain in my back, right where the rods and screws are. Also, I'm forcing myself to walk 3 times a day for 1/2 mile. In less than 5 minutes I can't wait to get back home. I know I'm early in recovery, but I'm worried that the back pain won't go away. Can any of you "veterans" tell me when I might expect some relief?
Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil

• I was still in the hospital at this time, so you are doing well! Hang in there, its a rough recovery for certain.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • You're expecting too much too soon. The first month was rough. After that, every week got better. Just when one pain would go away, another would start. But, as soon as I passed the 5 month mark, I have very little pain a lot of optimism for the future. Keep in mind we all heal differently.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Both AllMetal & MrsP24 are right, you are doing well and may be expecting too much too soon. 2.5 weeks out is not long, just don't over do it so you get set back with your recovery. You may feel really good until you push too far. It'll come, I learned the hard way but I remembered after the next surgery, and won't forget after the next adventure in a few months.
    We all do heal differently.
  • EmilyEEmily Posts: 112
    edited 10/16/2013 - 12:16 AM
    Here's what worked for me ( I followed my doctor's advice to the letter)

Week 1: Bed to table and bathroom only
    Week 2: 10 min walks 3 times a day
    By week 4: A 45 minute walk every day, sitting up to 20 mins. Swim backstroke as a substitute

It takes 18months to 2 years to fully recover. Absolutely key for me was keeping up the walking (at least an hour a day) and religiously doing my core exercises. These were started at 9 months out once there were clear signs of fusion.

As soon as I increased my movement, pain would flare up. These flares took all of two years to go away and now, 2 and a half years after the fusion, the amount I do has no effect on my back pain levels.
  • Your comments make me feel a lot better. I'm sooooo impatient. I need to keep reminding myself that "slow and steady wins the fusion race".
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • Hi Jen

I also am two and a half weeks out from a 360 degree two level fusion and am feeling pretty darn good. However I did experience the exact same symptoms you describe on a prior back surgery. I remember like it was yesterday trying to walk and after about five minutes wish I never left home. However after about six to eight weeks it was much better.

We both are very fresh out of surgery and I was told there will be good and bad days and the recovery will take a long time. What I am doing and it seems to be working well is following what the doc said. No lifting no bending no twisting. Do not do house hold chores like laundry vacuming so foth as this is not a time to catch up on chores it is a time to heal. Make sure I take all my pain medication as it is vital to recovery and walk. It is now up to me to recover. At six weeks I will start PT and will have weened off of my oxycotin.

We will be fine and kick butt on recovery.