Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

diagnosis of the day

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 12/09/2013 - 3:56 PM in Chronic Pain
Well I have another opinion, carpal tunnel syndrome. The Dr said since I had an prior injury to the nerve at c6-7 it is possible that CTS is causing the pain to radiate from my hand to my neck. Something they call double crush.
Funny thing is my husband went to see the hand surgeon today about a broken thumb. He said the hand surgeon reminds him of Travis on "The Doctors" show. Hmm, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him for an opinion
I really can't see how CTS could be causing all the pain in my neck/upper back.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    It was defintely my cervical issues. Initially, they felt it was carpel tunnel syndrome. Why? Because I was at the computer 8 to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Some of that maybe CTS, but after I had all of my cervical surgeries, I was not bothered by that same pain/discomfort/weakness.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • essmoe29eessmoe29 Posts: 317
    edited 10/16/2013 - 8:23 AM
    In 1983 I developed a herniated C5-6 disk. The neurosurgeon initially suspected CTS (a dual diagnosis with the herniation), but ended up ruling that out due to discovery, in a myelogram, of a bilateral herniation, which accounted for the CTS symptoms on the side which he'd felt was unaffected by disk herniation. Before performing the ACDF he informed me that he would perform carpal tunnel surgery if my symptoms on that side persisted. The surgery totally resolved my symptoms, so there was no need for capral tunnel surgery.
  • Hi
    I too was diagnosed with CTS and had fusion of C5-6
    Hands are always falling asleep especially during the night when sleeping, then i wake up from the tingling fingers
    I bought a wrist brace and the THING WORKS!!!!!
    I try to wear it to bed every night and sometimes during the day

Whether its from the neck or CTS relief is available by using a wrist brace
    (From the rack at my pharmacy)

Hope this helps
  • My PT who was working on my after my first lumbar surgery told me I had CTS. She said that you can tell by squeezing the fat that is between your thumb and forefinger, next to your palm. If there's nothing there and the skin comes together when you squeeze it, it's likely CTS. I have one hand that has fat/muscle there and one that doesn't and the one that doesn't hurts. But after the use of a wrist brace, like Rose said, it really feels better. It had gotten so bad that I couldn't lift the pot of coffee in the morning. It's much better now.
  • I had the EMG and they said severe in right and moderate in left - this was after ortho seen MRI and said I needed l5/s1 after several opinions from neuro and we have some of the best in Chicago they all said neck surgery . That was June 25th and still recovering and in physical therapy have not had the pain so I think coming from my neck. I also have braces for left and right which did help a lot . Of course I haven't been working with hands on computer like when I was working.
  • I got one, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it and my hand cramps do feel a bit better. thanks for the suggestion
  • Well I saw another ortho spine MD, and he is not sure it is CTS, he thinks it is something coming from my neck. That was my original thought too. But he doesn't think it is a fusion failure, although he said there is not a good bridge like they want to see???
    There is something suspicious in the way he was talking with the resident about my symptoms and xrays. Anyhow ordered another MRI, had one in March.