Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression and Weight Gain

I have been having back pain for three years now. I have done everything that the insurance company wants and my pain is horrible. I have done the injections and I had the nerve surgery year ago and my depression got me because I lost 90 pounds and then after my first surgery I gain the weight back and I feel horrible and fat butt now. My depression got so bad that I talked about jumping in front of train. I asked my doctor and he put me on some great depression pills. They have saved my life. But because I cant excerise right because I'm in pain 24/7. I went to see back doctor and he told me that I to get injections in lower back again. Well, they are not working and I will be having something done fusion and I'm scared to death and trying to cope with everything.

I have faith and trust in my doctor but I'm just scared about this whole thing. What did everyone else do? Please help me out on what you do for coping?

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 10/15/2013 - 4:44 PM
    I know how you are feeling. I recently was put on an antidepressant. I did not think about a train though. There aren't many near here and i wouldn't want to mess up someone else's life (the conductor or engineer or whomever is the front of a train). I do have those 'not worth living feelings'. I am still here so I must be coping, somedays it doesn't feel like I do a good job.
    I am in pain 24/7 but I do manage to walk. about 1-3 miles a day. I started out slow and just gradually increased the distance. It is my thinking time, sometimes I just cry. But it does make me feel better over all. I know my limitations so I make small goals like trying not to eat snack so much, or drink soda. I understand comfort food I just reduce portions.
    Being scared is natural, afraid of a long recovery, gaining more weight while laid up, etc. Maybe you could make a list and some remedies to help. My greatest fear is I will have more pain after, so I list all the things that might be helpful, peaceful music, comedy DVDs, noise cancelling headphones ( have kids).
    I try to do things to make me feel better, but I know I don't always succeed. I think ups and downs are normal, its OK to be sad. Just wish it was so often for any of us chronic pain suffers.
  • I understand and yet that is probably not what you want to hear. I know it frustrates me when people say they understand and start talking about the pain they are in or are having. I want to do better understanding others as well. I too am dealing with depression right now. I have been talking to my doctor and think I better tell him that things aren't as good as I like to make them when I'm in to see him. I was told by my spine surgeon that I need to lose 80lbs before they can do a disc replacement/fusion. on three levels of my lower spine. I believe that talking to others like family, friends, or people on this forum is a great thing to do when we feel depressed. This morning I went and talked to my rehabilitation counselor and told her how things were going. Just doing that gave me some relief and helped me get through today. I need to tell her thanks because she helped me out. Keep talking.