Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed back surgeries and collapse of cage

Shyshay2006SShyshay2006 Posts: 3
edited 10/19/2013 - 6:06 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had eight spinal surgeries at different levels over the past nine years. I had some screws that came loose last year, the doctor said that is what was causing my pain. I also felt and could also hear this popping sensation in the same area the screws were loose. He went in and took out all the titanium that the doctor in 2007 had put in and replaced it with metal rods. I was doing very well but I still had that popping sensation as if something was moving. Well, about four months ago This awful leg pain started. I went and had a CT done, he tells me just the other day that the cage they used to fuse S1 with in 2007 has collapsed and is lodged into the spinal canal and is pressing on the spinal cord. He said this surgery will be very difficult because he is not sure he can get the cage out , going through the back. He said he's got to take out everything he put in last year and redo it. Bone grafts as well. I am in severe pain. Can barely walk, what is considered an emergency? What do they go by? I'm not trying to be negative or anything but I would rather be dead than deal with this pain another day. Seriously. The pain management acts like my pain is no big deal. I am just sick and tired of dealing with it all.
Thank you for letting me vent.
Shannon ostrander

• Myself if I were looking at another surgery! How did cage collapse? How do screws get loose? . I have not had surgery but hear this all the time.

I cannot imagine the pain...when are they going do the surgery?

My heart goes out too u. Wish I could be more help.
  • Typically, if you lose control of your bladder or bowels, its an emergency. Pain itself doesn't rate an emergency unless it begins to compromise your airway, breathing or circulation. There is also something called pain induced super ventricular tachycardia that is serious and must be treated immediately. Essentially, your heart rate goes through the roof (usually over 150) and must be slowed down.

I hope they get you fixed up as soon as humanly possible!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thank you. I'm not sure when the surgery is hopefully soon. He wants to do another CT scan and then schedule the surgery. I'm not sure how the screws came loose or how the cage collapsed but, I am very angry over all of this. Since the cage collapsed I have had a lot of bladder leakage but I can control most of it.
    I appreciate your information, I know my blood pressure is up for sure. Thank you very much!
    Shannon ostrander
  • Let us know how it goes.