Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Conflicting recovery info....

So when i first saw my surgeon he told me id be able to pick up my baby (15lbs) after 2 weeks and be driving, walking then too... he said just no bending, lifting, twisting for 6 weeks - which doesnt make much since cuz id have to lift the baby.

When I got out of surgery, all the nurses said absolutely not, cant do any: lift (including baby), bend, twist or drive the car for 6 weeks. and dont ride in the car for 2 weeks. ok....

then i saw my surgeon with the physical therapist right before i was discharged and he said "well itll prolly be longer than 2 weeks on the baby we will see"

so i just had my post op appt (10 days) and he said he was 99% sure i wouldnt reherniate because there was basically an empty disc left in there and as long as i lifted the baby correctly id be fine to do so after 2 weeks...and his assitant said my weight limit wasnt 5-10lbs but 20 anyways... first ive heard this ever.
then he said im fine to drive after 2 weeks and i can ride in the car anytime....
i told him about all the conflicting info ive gotten and he said "well i will talk to the nurses because that is wrong"

my concern, everything ive read online says to avoid all lifting,bending,twisting (over 5-10lbs) for 6 weeks and smoe even say dont drive for 6 weeks..... now wat do i do?!?! but they told me no working out except walking until 6 weeks... ok this seems so conflicting!!!!

my husband keeps saying every dr is diff and what you read online doesnt apply to you. he said "u shuold listen to your surgeon, he knows your back and he wouldnt tell you to do smoething to hurt urself" but im SO scared i will by doing too much too soon. i keep telling my husband "i would rather be safe then sorry" Plus who at my drs office do i listen to?!?!
My biggest thing is i wana lift my baby... i dont care if i cant lift anything else at home...i could avoid those things for months, but id love to be able to hold my baby again....
any advice here?
as for how im feeling. im up to walking about .25-.50 miles a day, today is the first day my pains at about a 3. before today if i upped my walking i had ALOT of burning pain in my butt after....but ive been very slow and gradual about my walking.
i started doing 5 min walks in my hallway, about 5-6 times a day and id increase it by 1 min a day....
anyways, ad advice here???

• I would follow what the surgeon told me. My nurses told me no stairs and my surgeon told me stairs are fine. I can't imagine how difficult it is to have a baby amnd not be able to left it.

I had a spinal fusion and do not lift things if I don't have to. Good,luck.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • Pink - you are probably right. i was just more worried that everything ive read online says dont lift more than 5-10 lbs for 6 weeks but he says its only 20lbs for 2 weeks... kinda scary!
    i want to just wait the 6 weeks anyways but i can tell you its getting hard not to pick up my baby mainly because my husband has to travel for work every other week and is out of vacation time....so i always have to find someone to come over the entire time hes gone to help me with the baby.... oh man.