Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica vs Neurontin

Which drug works best and which one has the least side effects?

Any thoughts are appreciated?

• I have not ever taken lyrica but have taken neurontin for several years and have no side effects from it. I take it 3x a day (300 mg) and have had as much as 1800 mg a day with my doctor's approval. I am back to the 300.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I am currently taking Neurontin (Gabapentin), started same day after surgery, so it's been 2 weeks. I take it AM and PM, 300mg. I have noticed that the first week when I would take it in the morning it would cause extreme drowsiness.that has seemed to get better now. But my biggest complaint is blurry vision. I normally wear contacts during the daytime and I started noticing that I couldn't focus and thought that my eyes were getting worst. Now I barely wear them and wear my glasses, which I hate, most of the day. They help a little bit more with but I still find myself not being able to see things like I use to.

I read about someone else having it and they went to their eye doctor before they figured out it was the med that was doing it.
    Hope this helps.

Hugs to you,

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • Lyrica was preferred by my doctor, but because of its cost (no generic available), we went with Neurontin. I'm on 600mg 3 times a day and have no side effects from it, although it did make me drowsy in the beginning. I don't find that it helps much.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    edited 10/22/2013 - 3:03 AM
    Just do a search: Lyrica vs Neurontin.

That results in pages of forum threads/posts dealing with that subject. No need to reinvent the wheel. But if there is something different you are looking for, by all means create a new thread.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My PM and I discussed this matter and he prefers Lyrica since it has less side effects than Neurontin. It is newer, so costs will be higher. Don't rule out Topamax.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I tried nurotin several times and lyrica. I prefer lyrica. I have a handle on it and manage the inita. Side effects. The copay is higher but it is worth it to me.

The reason why i do not like neurontin is the dosage was 3 pills 3 times a day. A total of 9 pills a day. This is to much medicine for me to swallow every day. I actually have 2 bottles of the stuff sitting in my drawer.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • they had me on 2400mg of the stuff ($400 a throw)
    never mentioned anything about cognitive impairment :(

Made my classes REAL interesting that semester (somehow I still pulled A's,
    but the tip of the tongue word thing was making me CRAZY!).

I use Lyrica in a relativelty low dose (300mg), 'cause I can't afford the step up
    to taking 600mg a day or even 900! My only issue with Lyrica is that you have to
    REALLY carefully titrate up and down off of it slowly, and I do mean SLOWLY.

Others have used Cymbalta, but for the generalized FM pain, Lyrica is better.
    Neurontin just made me stupid :) Cymbalta (and all the SSRI and SNRI's)
    you need to be titrated up and down VERY VERY VERY slowly (I cannot emphasize that

To hammer one point home in particular, everyone's biochemistry is different,
    so these comparisons of various individuals reactions to medications (including mine)
    have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Neurontin, Cymbalta and even Lyrica don't begin to TOUCH my pain from my spine
    (sadly, neither does anything else). But all they have to offer me is cro-magnon
    back surgeries with 50-55% success rates :(

WhatEVER you do, do NOT use the Laser-Spine Institute... what a pandora's box
    THAT is when you start digging in :( From all accounts, including ex-employees,
    it is a huge surgery mill with nothing near the 80+ % success rate they try and suck
    you in with. Be forewarned, be safe, be well.
  • NchomanNNchoman Posts: 1
    edited 10/30/2013 - 2:56 PM
    I am also one that has never used Lyrics but have used Neurontin. Between that, the Tramadol and my other meds I was up to 18 pills a day. Finally got fed up with it and am now at 13 a day. One thing we did was started taking extended release pills. For Neurontin this translates to Gralise ER once a day instead of four times a day. Same stuff just different slower release time I guess. Th One downside to Neurontin for me is when I miss my dose (whether it was my afternoon dose when I was four times a day or my once a day afternoon dose). By the time I was going to bed it felt like I had an internal itch in my joints every time I tried to relax into sleep. If I read a book or moved around the house I was fine. It was weird and it sucked at the same time. Also get me wired up if I miss the dose so I am up all night with restless body syndrome. Hehe.
  • I tolerate Lyrica better. My PMS, said they were basically the same....however Neurontin burned my stomach. I have been on Lyrica for 2 months now, and really can tell when it's time to take my meds. Lyrical helps me with the pain for sure. But I've noticed I'm hungry all the time and have put on about 15 pounds-Grrrrr
  • I find this works better with less side effects! Tar dive Dyskensia is a side effect I wanted to risk with lyrica or neurontin my mother has this and it is a forever effect!