Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am a 46 yr old wife and mother of two boys, treated for severe scoliosis in 1983 with a Harrington Rod. Due to increasing pain, in 2009 I had a complete revision, extension of my fusion,4 laminectomies, wide decompressions, and replacement of all hardware, so I am now fused from T4 to the sacrum, with screws into the iliac crest.

As I slowly recovered and following, it seemed as though the revision had given me my life back. However, about a year and a half ago I started having pain where some of the screws are located. As time progressed, the pain worsened and spread, and I am now living in chronic pain, and pretty much only leave the house for drs appts.(and i refuse to miss my boys' home football games!)

Most of my pain is in the front of my left thigh, but also sometimes in the right, my knees, in my lower back, my arms and hands. I also have numbness in my toes and weakness in my left leg. I’ve tried physical therapy, exercise and pain medication but the only time I get relief is when I am lying down on heat and sometimes from my pain medication. I cannot sit or stand for more than 10 minutes without pain. i've been told after recent testing i have L5 nerve damage, etc, my si joint is inflamed, and the screw there is rubbing and causing irritation. Also, my fusion extends further down on the left than the right and i have osteoarthritis on top of everything. one neurosurgeon wants to inject a combo of meds into the si joint, but only when i'm off all narcotic pain meds. so that plan isn't gonna help my pain right now. he feels narcotics cause inflammation. my pain mngmnt dr did not agree. however, i've been on oxycontin 40mg, 3x day for 5 months, and have been on this pain med for such a long time, i feel i have developed a tolerance and need to try something different. at my appt last week, we decided i'd step down 10mg per dose, but still use the 5mg oxycontin for breakthrough... i've noticed extreme body temp changes, and an increase in pain!!!
As a young mother, I cannot continue my life always lying down. I am homebound, and I’m hoping you can help me to find a way to get my life back so I can be a wife, mom, & person again. thanks for taking the time to read :)

• Wow you have had a lot of bad back stuff going on. I am fused L1to S1 with S1 bolted to my pelvis. I just had both SI joints fused. They had been causing problems for a long time. I did cortisone injections into each which is the gold standard for determining SI joint pain. As soon as I came out of recovery with the SI fusions the SI pain was gone. It was amazing. I still have some residual back pain from all my surgeries but all the fusions did fix the problems they were supposed to. I am still on drugs.

Do you have a doctor you could go to for a second opinion? Sometimes hardware can be removed if it is causing problems.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • We have similar stories, but for now I'm doing well. I hope you are able to get relief soon. Feel free to PM me anytime.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.