Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

damaged nerves regenerating! From Rose

My PT confirmed for me today that my foot drop "dead damaged nerves" are firing up
And starting to regenerate....

There is hope folks for SEVERE nerve damage to regenerate after years (5+) after surgery

First I felt " itching" on my dead big toe, thought a mosquito bit my toe, but no swelling or evidence of a bug bite.
Then in the middle of the night, felt light "bugs crawling" feeling on my calf of the leg with the foot drop.
Then I tried to raise and lower my big toe, and it moved both ways a little.

Therapist held my toe putting resistance pressure and told me to fight it and move my toe

IT MOVED!!!!!! Slightly, but moved.

So this is motor nerve regeneration, and not sensory
I have a little movement, but am as numb and tingly as i have been for years.(sensory)
I will know in approx. 1-2 years.if the sensory nerves will fire up and regain feeling and sensations like the motor nerves are doing.

I had severe stenosing and adhering stenosis and cauda equina syndrome and severe dura tear.

I did NOT think movement was ever possible in my drop foot, but its happening very slowly.

Had to share this for my friends with severe nerve damage, YES,even with "seemingly permanent damage" there is hope for improvement. The purpose of my recent surgery was to prevent paralysis of my foot and leg and to stop me from tripping on my foot and falling or hitting walls to prevent falls.
Havent tripped myself so far. So maybe my surgery is successful and fulfilled its purpose.
I still have back and butt pain though.

• Amazing! Good for you ! Congrats on the progress!
  • BigRBBigR Posts: 48
    edited 10/25/2013 - 5:09 AM
    That's awesome news Rose. God does answer prayers. Look forward to hearing more great news in the future.
    5 MRIs since 2010 | Severe DDD throughout entire Lumbar Region | Facet Arthrosis throughout | Spinal Canal Stenosis | Herniation L4/L5 | Broad - Based Bulging L1/L2, L2/3, L3/L4 - but still kicking - just not very high. :)